Ho Hum.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jaeger

jaeger

I know that most of you have had lots of unique pieces of wood to work with.
I have picked up a few pieces here and there and have actually found some nice small pieces that I have been able to make a few pens with.
I have never found a piece of Burl until last night.
I went to an auction on Wednesday night and found a piece of Walnut Burl that I was able to pick up for $10.
Some of you are probably thinking, Ho Hum, but I kind of felt like a kid before Christmas! This piece of wood had been sitting in some gentleman's shop for how long. I had it sawn in about 5 minutes from arriving back home!
Here is the first pen.

DSCN0931-1.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oops99

That Mother Nature sure is one hell of an artist, she must be proud of the way you made it possible for the world to see what she had hidden in that piece of wood.
And also for the beautiful way you decided to show case it.

BTW, you did a fantastic job, savor every piece of that burl, I'm sure you will get a lot more surprises.

Tom/oops99

jaeger

Thank you all for the compliments. I am sure to discover more beauty in this fine piece of burl.
I know the auctioneer, if fact I showed him an antler cartridge pen after the auction and may have a couple pens on the bench to sell him by Christmas!
The gentleman that had the sale is currently in a nursing home. I am going to find out what kind of shape he is in and if possible, I will make him a cartridge pen with some of this burl. From visiting his sale, I gather he was a soldier and a hunter when he was younger. He obviously had a passion for woodworking and I hope I can add some delight to his day in kind.
I also picked up a piece of Cypress (a carving worthy of reworking) that I will post to this thread soon. I have a Car Show this weekend and I'm trying to stay on track for that!!! It may be a week or so before I turn one.

Top Bottom