Hit a jackpot for deer antler.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

216975_158532280873512_100001502242963_344242_6144374_n.jpg

So, I've had no luck getting some large enough deer antler to truly work. I was at the dump today, and spotted the attendant loading some serious antler in the back of his truck. He had 2 racks. I asked about them, he gave me one, and went and pulled out 2 more that someone threw out. In return, and in order to keep the good karma rolling I made him this:
207265_158531490873591_100001502242963_344223_268490_n.jpg

When I dropped it off, he went and gave me the other one he had, which was a good bit larger than the others. And I had just mentioned really wanting enough antler to pull off a fattie slim with the custom centerband. I think the next one will be on a gold kit, though.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Cool score dude. And they are still attached to the skull too. Even better. When you get ready to do a really nice pen, cut that bottom piece with the skull attached and grind or cut it flat on the skull end. When you turn it you will get a really cool line around the blank where the antler grew from the skull. You can charge double for that pen.

Drstrangefart

Cool score dude. And they are still attached to the skull too. Even better. When you get ready to do a really nice pen, cut that bottom piece with the skull attached and grind or cut it flat on the skull end. When you turn it you will get a really cool line around the blank where the antler grew from the skull. You can charge double for that pen.

And I have an angle grinder with cutoff wheels abundant. Awesome idea!

bitshird

That was a nice score, the one with the long beam almost looks like Sambar Buck. and that straight stuff get pretty pricey. The pen you made the fellow looks good too. I like that little dab of bark you left on the top barrel.

Drstrangefart

That was a nice score, the one with the long beam almost looks like Sambar Buck. and that straight stuff get pretty pricey. The pen you made the fellow looks good too. I like that little dab of bark you left on the top barrel.

That was really just because everyone I've talked to said to leave a little bark. I made (and posted) another one that looks better overall. The guy that got the pen rattled off about 5 people he was gonna show it to, then went and showed it off to a complete stranger. Interesting day.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Does anyone know if the brown antler looks different than the white on the inside?
Maybe, but probably not. How is that for decisive? Generally the exterior color is from the antlers being "stained" from their surroundings ie. trees, posts, bushes, etc. After the antler is no longer on the critter, the sun as well as other environmental factors can add to the "lightening" of them as well. I'm sure there are other reasons but my experience says after turning you could not pick one from the other.

Last edited:

Drstrangefart

Does anyone know if the brown antler looks different than the white on the inside?
Maybe, but probably not. How is that for decisive? Generally the exterior color is from the antlers being "stained" from their surroundings ie. trees, posts, bushes, etc. After the antler is no longer on the critter, the sun as well as other environmental factors can add to the "lightening" of them as well. I'm sure there are other reasons but my experience says after turning you could not pick one from the other.

That's the answer I needed. Didn't want to set up a recreational turning and realize I shoulda saved it for a money turning.

JohnU

Congrats on the find and a very nice looking pen! Darker antler is usually fresher and will have more purple inside because its not bleached and dried out from the weather elements. The longer it sits outside the whiter it will get, eventually drying and cracking. Not to mention the feast they turn into for the rodents. Ive turned LOTS of antler and found many shades inside from purple, green, grey, and yellow. Thats whats fun about antler.... seeing what you get inside. As stated above, if you turn some of the skull attached to the antler, it will make for a very nice addition and eye catcher. If you get something too thick to make pens from they make nice chain pulls. Good Luck!

Drstrangefart

Congrats on the find and a very nice looking pen! Darker antler is usually fresher and will have more purple inside because its not bleached and dried out from the weather elements. The longer it sits outside the whiter it will get, eventually drying and cracking. Not to mention the feast they turn into for the rodents. Ive turned LOTS of antler and found many shades inside from purple, green, grey, and yellow. Thats whats fun about antler.... seeing what you get inside. As stated above, if you turn some of the skull attached to the antler, it will make for a very nice addition and eye catcher. If you get something too thick to make pens from they make nice chain pulls. Good Luck!

I'm gonna have to hold onto some of this stuff for projects. I'm planning on boiling and straightening as much as I can for pens right now. Hopefully I can get in contact with a processor or taxidermist for a continuous supply.

rsulli16

maybe a dumb question, never worked with antler
does it have to dry out like a wooden blank would have to before turning it? or is just that it fell off the animal means its ready to go?
Sulli

bitshird

I'm gonna have to hold onto some of this stuff for projects. I'm planning on boiling and straightening as much as I can for pens right now. Hopefully I can get in contact with a processor or taxidermist for a continuous supply.

Processors are the best bet, usually a nice pen will get you a bunch of small racks, mostly spikes and smaller 2 point per side, but some guys realize that antlers don't taste good and leave them with the butcher. I got 2 pretty decent racks this year and a bunch of just pen sized stuff.

Drstrangefart

Processors are the best bet, usually a nice pen will get you a bunch of small racks, mostly spikes and smaller 2 point per side, but some guys realize that antlers don't taste good and leave them with the butcher. I got 2 pretty decent racks this year and a bunch of just pen sized stuff.

Yeah, I'm probably gonna try to e-mail a processor or taxidermist out this way and see if they'd be receptive to the idea. I also took my newest antler pen to work and waved it under the nose of a manager that hangs out at a hunting lodge that self-processes and supposedly has a ton of old antler lying out back. Maybe that motivated him enough to go get me some.:biggrin:

Top Bottom