Historical Wood - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Show Off Your Pens!
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Show Off Your Pens! Let's see your best work!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2017, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Historical Wood

I've seen some sites that say they have made pens from civil war witness wood. There's a charity event in my area that benefits Children's Miracle Network. I live pretty close to Gettysburg and think a civil war pen from PSI paired with some witness wood or something made from an old musket stock would do very well. Any historical wood I think would work.

Several weeks ago, I posted in the wanted section the above, I got 2 hits. I was asked to post pictures once completed, here they are.

First one is a civil war pen in gun metal finish that's dressed in the honey locust tree that Lincoln stood under when he gave his Gettysburg address. I chose to go with a OB shine juice as finish to keep a more natural feel.

The second one is a Water Oak blank from the Unknown Confederate section of the Stone Mountain City Cemetery and stood just to the right of unknown confederate graves. The blank was dressed in antique brass and also finished with some OB shine juice.
Attached Thumbnails
007.jpg   009.jpg   015.jpg   019.jpg   021.jpg  

017.jpg  
keepanionme14 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Nicely done, Jim. I hope they help out the charity. Very nice of you to do this.
elkhorn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-17-2017, 01:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Looks good. I'm curious how are you packaging these?

I've got a similar charity fundraiser and some historical wood pens I was going to use and trying to decide how I'm going to package up the authenticity certificate and the pen. I've looked around at some less expensive pen boxes, thinking about gluing the certificate into the lid and such. Or maybe making a simple "block pen stand with the certificate glued onto the top or bottom. Maybe making those a few extra dollars if they want them.
budnder is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 331

Excellent cause, as well as your participation - Kudos.

I realize that these woods are not the most "Spectacular," but I feel each has it's own beauty, and with the history behind, these are wonderful pens!

Well done.
Wadsworth, Ohio, OH 44281
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
mark james is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-17-2017, 06:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 64

Those look great. I like pens with some history behind them.
Jim15 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-17-2017, 07:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 46

Excellent Pens Jim.
Great Choice of Blanks, with a Historic Affiliation.
Beautifully Turned, Fitted and Finished.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Last edited by OZturner; 07-17-2017 at 07:15 PM.
OZturner is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-17-2017, 11:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Excellent job on both pens. I hope the Children's Miracle Network was able to profit by your work. Thank you for choosing my wood for the Stone Mountain Pen. Now I feel like I was a small part of your wonderful endeavor.

Ben
BKelley is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-18-2017, 09:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ben, I'm hoping both pens will bring a nice price. Whatever the pens go for, 100% of that goes to the kids. Unfortunately, it will have to wait until November when the "Pay for Play" event happens. This year will be the 11th year they've done this. Last year went over the $1 million dollar mark for raised money that 100% goes to Penn State Hershey's Medical Center. I'll put up a link to the auction once they're there, if allowed here.

Roy, I'm not sure how these will be packaged. Since it's a local radio station, I'm not sure they will be shipped as the majority of the auction items are local. I'm guessing they will be picked up. I'll be dropping them off at the radio station next week when the program director is back from vacation. In general, though, I like to individually wrap pens I ship in bubble wrap and send them off in a bubble padded envelope.

Everyone else, I thank you for the kind words.
keepanionme14 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Several thoughts on your 'historical' pen suggestion.
I offer a service based on just that concept. Great idea, but it can come with them caveats. I did some pens for a family using cherry wood that was from the old homestead. Well over 100 years old. Nearly didn't get it done. Old cherry can easily dry out and crumble into dust. This was before I began stabilizing. I just soaked and soaked the blanks with CA as I worked. Saved them but it was stressful.
Now, that honey locust "Lincoln tree". If it was on Federal property you could get into trouble big time removing from the park. Worth keeping in mind.
And, I no longer donate to auctions. Pens seldom bring much money . Dunno why but selling a $60.00 pen for $5.00 is insulting to me.
Rifleman1776 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads