Historical Nautical Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from scotian12

scotian12

I was privileged last week to be commission to make four pens for the Change of Command ceremonies at CFB Shearwater Dartmouth , Nova Scotia. The wood is Douglas Fur from the mast of the HMS Shearwater launched in 1900 in British Columbia , Canada. It was a Condo class-sloop. One of the pens will be on permanent exhibit at the Air Museum at CFB Shearwater. Darrell Eisner

Attachments

• Shearwater Pen.jpg
    Shearwater Pen.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 370
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JasonM

The pens look great! And what a great story to go with them. My favorite materials are ones with sentimental or historical backgrounds.

PaulDoug

Congratulations on the honor. You did a great job for them. I had to see what the ship looked like.

Attachments

• 300px-HMS_Shearwater_DNDShearwater-024.jpg
    300px-HMS_Shearwater_DNDShearwater-024.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 111

scotian12

Thank you for your kind comments on these historic wooden pens. Its always exciting to bring forward something from the past and make it contemporary. Paul, thanks for showing us the ship. The museum director will be sending me some more pictures and a bit more detail on the sloop. I've posted a further picture of the broken part of the mast that I took the material from. The wood was in excellent shape and easy to turn for softwood. Mike....nice to hear from a neighbour; here is the second part of the story that you maybe interested in as you are part of the Canadian Air Force. The same military personnel that asked me to do the HMS Shearwater pens also asked for a metal pen to be made out of aluminium from a Sea king Helicopter for another Change of Command ceremony. As I don't have a metal lathe and the Military has many plus experienced millwrights/ machinists, we compromised and collaborated. I provided the parts from a Jr Statesman kit plus the CSUSA instruction plus my own instruction for assembly etc and they milled the barrels and assembled the pen. I also provide a PSI presentation box with modified insert to accept the pen and a gold inscribed plaque. The second picture is the pen made out of the part from the Sea King helicopter. Thanks Darrell

Attachments

• IMG_3647.jpg
    IMG_3647.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3644.jpg
    IMG_3644.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 92
Top Bottom