High End Pens (to me)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mmayo

mmayo

I have shown a number of Saturn and Sierras and thought it was time to show the nicer pens I make. These are Jr. Gent II and Jr. Aaron pens with stabilized box elder burl and other premium burl woods.

This Christmas season has been pretty brisk with these more expensive pens, happy face here.

Attachments

• D65A1656-D6B9-4FA8-9D7A-3108E1D53F5B.jpg
    D65A1656-D6B9-4FA8-9D7A-3108E1D53F5B.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 479
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Nice going, Mark !! . Happy for your success !

The tags you use ... are they plastic or card stock ? . Where do you get them ?
Can you print directly on them, or do you use a little sticker with the pen info printed on it ?
Thanks.

Last edited:

mmayo

My wife is an expert scrapbooker and card maker. She has graciously agreed to make my tags. The tag is printed in front and back printouts and then she cuts each with a die cutter shaped like a small tag. She glues them together and hands them to me. The gallery where I work requires my code for payment, the type of refill on the back and product info and price on the front. They are labor intensive, but work. I tie them on with elastic cord that does not leave a mark or scratch the pen. They are easy to remove without a scissors. I could ask her for the die name if anyone wishes.

OZturner

Fantastic Display of Glorious Pens, Mark.
Magnificent Assortment of Spectacular Blanks,
Expertly Turned, Fitted and Finished,
Excellent Choice of Hardware,
Love your Good Lady's Tags, very Professional, and Ingenious.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Rifleman1776

Very nice. I believe making higher end pens is the way to go. There are just way too many guys out there selling $15.00 slimlines and such. The highest price I ever got for a pen was $300.00. It was a Gentleman fountain made with a faux ivory (not the kind you get from pen catalogs, a special material) [and, no, I won't reveal what it was, just that it was hard as granite to turn but takes a beautiful patina with use, hard to tell from real ivory].

Rifleman1776

Very nice. I believe making higher end pens is the way to go. There are just way too many guys out there selling $15.00 slimlines and such. The highest price I ever got for a pen was $300.00. It was a Gentleman fountain made with a faux ivory (not the kind you get from pen catalogs, a special material) [and, no, I won't reveal what it was, just that it was hard as granite to turn but takes a beautiful patina with use, hard to tell from real ivory].

OK, I have had a change of heart. It was a little selfish of me to post that without sharing what material I used. Actually, very simple. I used a faux ivory micarta purchased from a knife making supplier. I think it was Jantz. As I said above it is a beautiful material that far more closely resembles real ivory than the plastic stuff sold by the pen kit suppliers. Turning this stuff is not an easy project but end results are, IMHO, knock out beautiful. Go for it. Post pictures if you actually make anything from it.

Top Bottom