Hide it OR Highlight it (what are the odds)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bruce119

bruce119

Here is a typical Baron done in a white & Black acrylic. As I was turning and down to final size in the finishing stage I noticed this mark out of place. Now the average person will probably never notice it. But I did so I got my loop out and took a look. An insect wing!!! How about that what are the odds of that wing being in just the rite place in that blank to be just under the surface facing the rite direction to show like that.

So do you forget the customer will probably never notice it.
Do you highlight add value to it.
Or keep it you will never see this again.

All comments welcome.

wing1.jpg

wing2.jpg

wing3.jpg

Thanks
Bruce

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

I think most people will see it as a dirty spot. It almost looks like you have enough blank left to turn it out. Make a straight bushing, to bushing.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I think I agree with Paul. You don't really see it as a wing until you zoom in until the pen is almost 8" across. Most will just see it as a "flaw". And only a very, very few will think it is cool to have a bug part in their pen.

GK

IPD_Mrs

Bruce,
If you went out and bought a nice Omas or Visconti and found that in the pen you purchased, what would your reaction be? One thing that we need to always be aware of is quality. On this one you are out a blank and a set of tubes. If you sold that pen even telling the buyer about it before hand, you still stand the chance of loosing sells from it. That is your work and your reputation. Don't dirty your reputation because of a dirty factory in China somewhere.

Mike

leehljp

Member Liaison
I know that most people don't CA over acrylic and I don't always, but I have. Having said that, if you turn it down and think it is too thin or not quite the shape you want, you can build up .5 to 1mm of CA if you are experienced enough and it should bring back the shape you want - IF you want the thicker shape.

VisExp

Some days you're the bug, and some days you're the windshield :biggrin:
I'd turn it off. As a close up it looks cool, but from normal viewing distance it looks like a smudge.

rdunn12

I am with the majority,turn it out.Although it does look pretty cool.You know you could always send it to me for further evaluation.:biggrin::biggrin:

Hiram33

Sorry but i disagree! Keep as piece to show people it is different and may turn a person who is just window shopping may buy some thing. Some thing no other pen turner will have.

bruce119

Hey thanks all it already served it's purpose. I wouldn't sell it like most said it looks like a flaw. But I had fun showing it off and only other pen turners would understand the odds. I know if I try and turn it off that would be the end of it as I think it is just deep enough to bugger it up ha ha bugger it up !!

Any way I think I will keep it maybe get some prints made use it as a show and tell. Like Rudy said it mite turn someone on. I know I am a collector of odd unusual stuff.

Thanks every one

Daniel

I would keep it as an odd and unusual thing. Like you said you will never see another like it. You could even just save the barrel, get new tubes to turn another barrel for the pen. I don;t think I would go that far i would just simply keep the pen and show it off. Sort of the history of my penturning experiences thing.

Top Bottom