Herringbone lamination

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vick

Status
Not open for further replies.

vick

Well I have been seeing these great laminations so I thought I better get in on the action. I am a pretty plain guy though so I just used one wood in a herringbone pattern. The goal was to make something that looked intricate but under stated.

Americana Screw cap fountain pen made out of Bubinga laminations.

P.S. I took pictures of the invisible clip process and hope to have a tutorial done in about a week for those of you that have asked for one.

200510673443_HeringboneOpen.jpg

200510673458_HeringboneClosed4.jpg

As always comments and critiques are welcome.

Ron Mc

Mike,
Very nice job!! Have you finished picking CA of the fingers yet?
I also look forward to seeing how you did he clip.

dubdrvrkev

I think its already been said but, great job.
I may just have to stop this pen stuff and go back to bowls and boxes, I just can't keep up with you guys on this stuff.
You know, for someone that I never see in the shop you sure do post a lot of sweet work.[8D]

JimGo

Mike,
Just to expand on my earlier comment, as you know, I'm not always a fan of the shape of closed-end pens. However, in this case, the curves are an interesting visual contrast to the sharp lines of the herringbone pattern. I think the shape compliments the herringbone well, and the result is a heck of a pen! Congrats!

btboone

Mike, I wonder if there's something like gold foil or some super thin accent material that could be wrapped around the pieces before gluing to help set them off. Certainly nothing big, but something to help point out the outstanding craftmanship and still be very tasteful.

vick

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.
Bruce - I think the foil is a real good idea.
Kevin - I am not kidding about the late at night thing if you want to catch me turning you will have to stay up past your bed time. The good news is I took some vacation at the end of the Month and my wife says I can play in the garage from 8-5 [:D].

Randy_

Originally posted by btboone<br />Mike, I wonder if there's something like gold foil or some super thin accent material that could be wrapped around the pieces before gluing to help set them off. Certainly nothing big, but something to help point out the outstanding craftmanship and still be very tasteful.

How would that affect the glue-up, i.e. joint strength? Maybe some sort of tint/pigment in the glue would do the trick??

Here is a thought based on Bruce's idea.

In marquetry some times you singe (burn) an edge of the wood for a dramatic effect.

How about singe the side of the wood that gets glue.

Send me the tutorial. I'll look it over.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by btboone
<br />Mike, I wonder if there's something like gold foil or some super thin accent material that could be wrapped around the pieces before gluing to help set them off. Certainly nothing big, but something to help point out the outstanding craftmanship and still be very tasteful.
A while back when I did my basketweaves and "stained glass woodow" I used slivers of bloodwood to "set off" the segments.

JimGo

Originally posted by vick
<br />If anyone wants to volunteer to look over the tutorial and give me a little feedback before I submit it let me know. I am not a very good writer so I could really use a double check.

I'll give it a look-see if you want Mike.

vick

Tnanks Jim but I got a couple more offers on e-mail and I think I will have enough feedback. I will drop you a line if I do a version 2 based on feedback.

vick

Originally posted by cteaglesc

A while back when I did my basketweaves and "stained glass woodow" I used slivers of bloodwood to "set off" the segments.

Eagle you meen you did one kind of like this [:D][;)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by vick
<br />
Originally posted by cteaglesc

Eagle you meen you did one kind of like this [:D][;)]

DC castoffs was a "basket weave"
20056260190_DCjunglestratowood%20003.jpg

The side view of this pen was the attention getter
200562601942_DCjunglestratowood%20004.jpg

"Stained glass woodow" was a variation
200583233017_Bohemian%20Cola%20012.jpg

I have done quite a few others but after I posted the first I didn't post any more

vick

Eagle - I had seen them I was kidding. They are still beautiful though.

Billy - my mail to you at the address you listed in your e-mail got bounced. I went ahead and sent it to the address that IAP had listed. Let me know if you did not recieve, my web based e-mail is acting wacky today.

woodscavenger

I like the basketweave look but I think a little more angular shape on the pen would work better on the ends in my opinion. Great work on the clip.

vick

Thanks again for all the comments.
BigRob to be honest their is nothing to the lamination besides cutting the strips it is a simple heringbone patterns. It is a lot of work but their is nothing hard about it.
The invisible clip tutorial has been completed and sent to Jeff but it will probably take a little while for him to convert to PDF and post. A special thanks to DCBluesman, RonFromDrumPA and Alamocdc for their editing and input on the tutorial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom