Herringbone 360, Cocobolo Burl and Antler Barons

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wolftat

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
The antler is whitetail that was sitting around and needed to be turned, the Cocobolo burl was hidden away in my brothers stash and needed to be turned, and the Herringbone 360 is the first of several dozen that I am making to send over to my old unit in Iraq, I hope they like them.

Attachments

• IMG_0931.jpg
    IMG_0931.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 550
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TribalRR

Hey Niel I'm glad that herringbone worked out for you. Just one thing on your pattern though, it looks like you have one column where the pieces are on the inside of each adjacent piece. They should be attached to the face on one end and the edge on the other. I did the same thing on my first one...

spitfire

Very nice!
I looked in the library for a how to on herringbone pens and didn't see one. Is there one out there anywhere?

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Hey Niel I'm glad that herringbone worked out for you. Just one thing on your pattern though, it looks like you have one column where the pieces are on the inside of each adjacent piece. They should be attached to the face on one end and the edge on the other. I did the same thing on my first one...

I caught that one halfway through the blank, but decided that it wasn't worth throwing it out and figured that noone would notice. I forgot you would be looking....LOL:wink:
The next one is already being made and is correct.

Skye

Is that Cocobolo a burl? I've never turned Cocobolo burl, but it looks like the normal grain blanks I used to turn. (Allergic now, and it's one of my favorites :( )

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Is that Cocobolo a burl? I've never turned Cocobolo burl, but it looks like the normal grain blanks I used to turn. (Allergic now, and it's one of my favorites :( )

He had a box marked cocobolo burl, and being the nice brother that I am, after blowing up a very burly blank, I chose one that had very little burl on it to blow up next. It didn't blow up and I kind of like the sapwood side better. There will be some better burl pens coming out shortly, he really does have some nice blanks(or is that had?). This one is apart for a refinish due to clouding. It happens.:)

These are on the list for slimlines...LOL

Attachments

• IMG_0933.jpg
    IMG_0933.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

Skye

You're gonna slimline those? Is you mad?

Yeah, I like the sapwood too. If I had my way, every Coco pen blank would have some amount of sapwood. Dale Johnson sent me some KILLER ones but I grew an allergy to them and had to give them away to a buddy. Sucks.

TribalRR

Sorry Neil, didn't mean to bust you out on that. :) It is diffinitely not worth throwing out. I kept mine, or I should say my wife kept it... Did the corian not work?

Top Bottom