Here's WHY we paint inside the blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
or paint the tubes , or buy the tubes already colored . :redface: A couple years ago , I asked the late Johnnie Jarheaded(RIP) to make these pinecone blanks for me . I was excited when I got them , and started drilling . Glued the tubes in , and started turning . When I started seeing the brass showing thru :eek: , I remembered .:redface: Paint inside the blanks after drilling !! I didn't really want to tell Johnnie what I didn't do , and when I did he just said "Chuck it sounds like you had a brain fart" :redface: So...... DON'T forget to paint the blanks . The blanks have been laying on my assembly bench ever since , and today I decided to finish them and make a pen . This one goes into my personal collection . Thanks for looking , and don't be too rough on me . :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_0516.JPG
    IMG_0516.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_0517.JPG
    IMG_0517.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 587
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
There is no other pen, just like that pen and there will never be another blank just like that one. Treasure it, as I am certain you will.

ldb2000

I don't think that a little brass showing through hurts the pen any , it still looks great . If it bothers you that much you can always remove the tubes and paint the blanks then reinstall the tubes . A little heat , just enough to soften the glue , will break the bond and allow you to remove the tubes . I use a pencil type soldering iron centered in the tube to soften the glue .

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thank you Ed ! You are correct on all counts .
Thank you Ken for the compliment .
Thanks Butch ! I'll keep that info on file for the next one :redface: but this one will remain as it is .

leehljp

Member Liaison
Chuck,

We all make mistakes like that, and we (well, most of us) learn from the mistakes. Continual reminders are needed, and visual reminders are best. Thanks! I will admit that the mistake on your is less noticeable than one that I did. My greatest mistake in this area is that on several occasions I didn't wait long enough for the paint to dry/cure before adding the glue and tube. The insertion of the tube resulted in "scratches" that revealed the brass or bubbles under the paint.

Some people have a problem "admitting" that they made a mistake or have a problem at all. :wink:

Last edited:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
It looks great even without the paint. Johnnie had a few brain farts himself on occasion. The pen looks damn good Chuck.

MarkHix

I have a couple that the brass showing actually makes the pen.

You know you can fix that. You already have the hole drilled. If you figure it out before turning to final thickness, you can easily drill out the brass tube. If you have already turned it, all bets are off.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck,

We all make mistakes like that, and we (well, most of us) learn from the mistakes. Continual reminders are needed, and visual reminders are best. Thanks! I will admit that the mistake on your is less noticeable than one that I did. My greatest mistake in this area is that on several occasions I didn't wait long enough for the paint to dry/cure before adding the glue and tube. The insertion of the tube resulted in "scratches" that revealed the brass or bubbles under the paint.

Some people have a problem "admitting" that they made a mistake or have a problem at all. :wink:
Thank you Hank . My main intent was to propose a reminder . Sometimes Neil writes "paint the tubes" on my blanks he sends me . :biggrin::redface: I didn't mind a little humiliation if it helps others . And considering where the blank came from , I'm quite proud to show it .

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
It looks great even without the paint. Johnnie had a few brain farts himself on occasion. The pen looks damn good Chuck.
Thank you VERY much Neil . And , I would just like to add that Johnnie did a very nice job making these blanks . So if the pen looks good , it's because of Johnnies work .

Last edited:

WildcatHollow

I feel your pain...

There's nothing more painful than a great looking pen with something you know would make you crazy if you had paid for it.

I'm getting quite a collection of good looking "personal use" pens that have gotten lots of compliments, but...I know the truth.

Great looking pens. My strategy is to carry one of my faux pas with me, and if, when I use it, someone admires it, I give it to them, telling them it was one of my mistakes. I've never had anyone seem to mind.

Cheers.

t.

toolcrazy

A customer probably wouldn't even notice. They would think it is supposed to look like that. Depending on the blank I would leave the tube unpainted to enhance the look.

Very nice pen, nice work.

Rollerbob

Showing your brASS, Chuck? Kidding, you know. I like it and certainly understand the value of it. Now, about those brain farts........

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
What a great pen! I mean it. Its very attractive! And I understand why that one will "remain as it is." Its a treasure. I'm not only glad you finally turned those blanks. I'm glad you shared it with us.

I have one in my collection I messed up on - But I'm really glad I was able to finish it. I treasure the blank and as much as the person who made it for me. I even use the pen occasionally. But I'm not as gutsy as you. The maker will never know how I messed it up . . . but that I love his blanks!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I agree with everyone so far, looks perfectly fine to me too.
Think of it this way; if you had painted the tubes or blank then you may have sold it by now. But now you have something really special:wink::biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I agree with everyone so far, looks perfectly fine to me too.
Think of it this way; if you had painted the tubes or blank then you may have sold it by now. But now you have something really special:wink::biggrin:
Thank you kindly Steven ! It is indeed very special .

cnirenberg

Chuck,
The pen came out great, it gives it more charicter. As for the brain fart, i was wondering what that smell was...don't worry it was just me.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I think it's a great looking pen. Can't really see the tube much.
I made a money pen once and didn't paint the tube or blanks and the tube was very visible. It ended up being the selling point, the customer liked being able to see 'gold' show thru.
Dave

Top Bottom