Here's why I haven't shown anything for a while...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

I've been working on this on and off for about a week now. I kept having trouble with turning the cap. That all changed after I got to meet Bruce Robbins and saw some of his homemade kitless mandrels. So I made my own and man did it help! Thanks Bruce! Now with all that trouble I had to recast extra blanks and that's why the cap & finial...as well as cap & body don't perfectly line up or look the same. I had made a black cap finial but I didn't like the look. The front section is also cast alumilite. Besides the cap giving me problems this is by far my best kitless yet. Thanks for looking everyone!

100_3968604x700.jpg
100_3974614x700.jpg
100_3977567x700.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bill Sampson

Jonathon,
I didn't see a blank like that in your box!! Pen looks great and typical of your outstanding work. Was glad you got to meet Bruce and take advantage of his kitless skills.
I have gotten some feedback from some Richmond members about the reverse painting of JB blanks and those participating are excited.
Bill Sampson, Richmond

jasontg99

Jonathon,

That is fantastic! Bruce's walkthrough was an eye opener wasn't it? I went over to Fred's and we made some mandrels and test pieces for our attempt at a kitless. Hopefully within the next few weeks I will have one to post!

Jason

Texatdurango

Well let's see, the blank looks really nice, clean threads, nice clip notch and I like the lower body shape but that dome finial doesn't float my boat but nice job on it.

Must be nice being closeby someone to go to for assistance, sounds like ya'll have nice get togethers. We've got no one here in the wilds of Arizona to turn to!

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Great job Jonathon. It looks really nice. With pens like these we should be well on our way to putting the kit suppliers out of business!

firewhatfire

I like the pen but agree with whomever said the finial was not there favorite. But since I am still in rhe baby step Phase of learning this stuff who am I to complain.

renowb

That's really nice Jonathon! Pretty and unique! It reminds me of Hershey syrup dribbled over some Blue Bell vanilla ice cream. Hmmm, man you made me hungry!

Old Lar

Pretty and unique! It reminds me of Hershey syrup dribbled over some Blue Bell vanilla ice cream. Hmmm, man you made me hungry!

What he said! That is a beautiful blank and an awesome pen.

Brooks803

Thanks everyone! I'm really happy with it :biggrin:

Man, looks like the brownie and vanilla ice cream I had last night for desert. Yummy!

Lol...yeah I thought of fudge ripple while I was turning it. Then I went and got a bowl of ice cream :tongue:

Jonathon,

That is fantastic! Bruce's walkthrough was an eye opener wasn't it? I went over to Fred's and we made some mandrels and test pieces for our attempt at a kitless. Hopefully within the next few weeks I will have one to post!

Jason

Thanks Jason, it sure was! I was on the right track, but seeing his setup it really cleared it all up for me. I'm even drawing up some plans for a lost wax casting. If I can make it look anything like it does in my head it will be my Pen Makers Guild entry :biggrin: Good luck on yours!

Well let's see, the blank looks really nice, clean threads, nice clip notch and I like the lower body shape but that dome finial doesn't float my boat but nice job on it.

Must be nice being closeby someone to go to for assistance, sounds like ya'll have nice get togethers. We've got no one here in the wilds of Arizona to turn to!

Thanks George, I'm trying to take everyone's feedback into consideration on each new piece. We'll see what I can come up with on the next one.

Bruce wasn't exactly "close" by...only a 7hr drive. Trust me, if you were within driving distance I'd be knocking on your door :biggrin:

Great job Jonathon. It looks really nice. With pens like these we should be well on our way to putting the kit suppliers out of business!

...and more CLIP supplires IN business!! They are hard to find!

Thanks Bruce and Jeremy. Yeah I don't have any intentions of buying any kits anytime soon. I'll use up what I have and buy a few at a time. I get more satisfaction making them from scratch. Jeremy, I'm searching for a new supplier for clips as I type! The site I bought all my current stock from has closed up shop. I'm out of gold clips so I either need to find some gold clips OR Roy needs to hurry and get those polished steel Bock nibs :biggrin:

So Jonathon .... How DO you get ALumilite to Spalt? :):biggrin:

Amazing pen! :)

Thanks Lenny! For the spalting all you need to do is find a way to create mold without H2O :tongue:

Top Bottom