Here we go...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from neurotictim

neurotictim

So I've only been doing this for a few months, but I can't sit still, and having recently become (happily) unemployed for a few weeks, I've got time...

As with my other posts, please bear with the photography.

3 Toni Twists, top one is bees-wing narra with bocote "wedge", middle one is purpleheart with bocote inverted stripes, and bottom one it "Steelers pen" - ebony and yellowheart. What can I say, the guy who wanted em really loves his Steelers.

SDC10809.jpg

Matching "heart" pens for a friend and his wife. Toni Twist hardware, Purpleheart bodies, with yellowheart and redheart blocks.

SDC10767-1.jpg

Quilted maple Euro with satin gold hardware, dyed blue, then sanded back, and dyed red, for a firefighter friend.

SDC10639-1.jpg

I've got tons more, but after looking around here some, I think I've only touched the tip of the iceberg. :cowboy:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

You are off to a great start! I applaud you for trying segmenting so quick and your segments look really good. A couple of things. The hardware you are using should be using a bushing that is thicker in the middle then on the ends (aka comfort). It appears you are using regular slim line bushings for them. Tell me about your finishing process and sanding. I am seeing some things there that could help you, if it is not simply a photography issue.

neurotictim

You are off to a great start! I applaud you for trying segmenting so quick and your segments look really good. A couple of things. The hardware you are using should be using a bushing that is thicker in the middle then on the ends (aka comfort). It appears you are using regular slim line bushings for them. Tell me about your finishing process and sanding. I am seeing some things there that could help you, if it is not simply a photography issue.

Thanks! It's mostly a photography issue (which I hope to fix tonight, more on that later) but I'll walk you through it, you can probably point out a million ways to improve. :cool:

The matching heart pens, and that set of three, are supposed to be like that - with the heart pens, I didn't want the ring in the center flush with the wood. Otherwise, I'm pretty good about getting the edges flush with the bushings. I'm not good enough yet with the tools to get it exactly, but I'm not skeered to use sandpaper to take it down that final hundreth of an inch or so. I'm also noticing that after a couple dozen pens, it's time to replace the bushings... Either the girlfriend is hitting them with the tools, or I'm sanding them down little bit at a time... :confused: The guy who wanted the other three specifically asked for that style pen, but with a very thin profile. We went through several "test" turnings and he decided he liked them that way.

Normally, once I've gotten the blanks to size and shape, I start with 600 or so grit. I've been known to start lower on the more porous woods, though. I sand at low speed, maybe 1K RPMs, and progressively get to 2K grit sandpaper. After that, it's time for wet-sanding with those micro-mesh sandpaper sponges you get at Woodcraft, and after reaching 12K, I will either use the HUT Crystal Clear polish, PPP wax bar, or spray lacquer. If the spray laquer is used, I repeat the wet-sanding process once it's dry.

I'm having trouble with dying wood - I'm fairly certain it's because I'm not as patient as I should be, but the colors are very hard to get cleanly - that red pen is the best I've gotten so far.

Also, I tried sealing with CA, but I think I'm going to need to get a bottle of the thin stuff - the thick stuff just goes on to unevenly... Or else I'm not doing it right. :bulgy-eyes:

neurotictim

Let's try a few now that I'm getting a feel for this photography thing. Heather will no doubt fix all the lighting issues I've got going on in these pics, but at least I'm in better shape than I was...

SDC10917-1.jpg

SDC10914-1.jpg

SDC10904-1.jpg

hewunch

you are wet sanding unfinished wood? I would think that would lead to cracks and problems with the finish later.

Top Bottom