Here little buffalo... the other success

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ed4copies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
200552174053_penh2obufnet2mix.jpg

Had to try the Statesman. This one is stabilized water buffalo horn. Big white line down back, but front is pretty decent.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Outstanding pen. Just received a request for 4 w/ option for 2 more. Looking forward to trying these. Are they as hard to turn as deer antler?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Fleabit-the "ripple" is a white spot-has been present in all 3 I have turned. WARNING: I turned one that was not stabilized, the crack that developed was huge. The one other stabilized that I have made has survived 2 months or so, so I am hoping that was the answer. CSUSA provided my stabilized blanks and they seem to be good.

Pastorbill-I refuse to turn deer antler because of the smell. Buffalo horn is hard to drill-heats up rapidly so I choose to do it in numerous sessions (about a half inch at a time.)
Turns easily, polishes with plastic polish. I don't wax because there is a faint texture that I like to leave intact. This is not the bible according to st. ed, I have only done a few and the results are very good, not spectacular! There may be a better way.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Sweet Ed.. very Sweet... Horn can be a real PIA... I did a couple of cow horns and I kept them from cracking by using BLO on them.. soaked the living hell out of them... was taught that trick by a guy that used to do powder horns...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom