herd of buffalo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from pastorbill1952

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jr Statesmen rhodium finish. Turned for a church member who gave me one as a gift. The buffalo horn was soaked for 24+ hours before turning & it STINKS.[xx(] Laser Engraving by Ken Nelsen
www.kallenshaanwoods.com

200561913239_bud%20oliver.jpg

20056191337_dennis%20owens.jpg

200561913336_rs%20uncapped.jpg

200561913414_wp%20uncapped.jpg

Had taken the pic before caught the fit on the cap. And to think that it was on my personal pen.

Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

With all due respect to Abbott and Costello...
"Heard of buffalo? Sure I heard of BUFFALO! Whaddya think I am, a dummy?" [:D]

Wow, BEAUTIFUL pens Pastor! Don't worry, we won't kid you about that trim ring for TOO long! [;)]

Fleabit

I love the look of buffalo horn. One of these days I will buy some. The engraving stands out but doesnt take away from the pens. Well done.

Daniel

Beautiful series of pens there. and yes the stuff does reak. I wear a dust mask just so I don't have to smell it. problem is the odor comes in the house with you when you are done. and down the street. and will wake you up at 2a.m. if a stiff breeze kicks up and stirs the dust that fell of your clothes on the way in from the shop. worth every discusting snort though.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
A word to the wise,

"Buffalo horn is a natural product" to quote a supplier.

I made one about a year ago, only to open it at a show to find a 1/16" crack down the entire pen. NOW, I use only stabilized buffalo horn.

After enduring the smell and getting a nice finish, the crack really p'ed me off. And, because I can't see worth a darn, I didn't know it was there until I felt the pen.

Just a few words of warning. I HOPE you NEVER need to know this.

cjaussiepens

They are great pens,Bill is the horn material of the Asian buffalo? I guess the engraving is filled with "gold"... sure wish we had those services available to us up here. Happy turning.........[:)] Cj ......

Actually I think that they are from what is referred to as River Buffalo kept by our Native Americans. I am not sure because the person who wanted the pens made, bought the horn. The engrqaving is natural, no fill was added . Interesting how the engraving worked out. Also Ed is absolutely correct, I now have a small crack in 2 of the pens.[xx(]

Darley

pastorbill1952, what the process of soaking the horn blank in the water do? do the smell is bad than the antle? I read, I think on Yahoo penturner that the buffalo horn get crack like ebony, maybe is heat sensitive, is it? BTW very nice pens

Serge, I think the soaking softens the horn so it is less likely to blowout. The instructions say to soak for 12 to 16 hours, but the ones I did that way, blew out. I let these soak for well over 24 hours. The next time I am going to try using CA when I get down to the finish to try to prevent the cracks. This stuff is way to $$ to lose to a crack. Since it was horn I did not use any sealer on them. I thught it made it look too much like plastic. I'll keep posting whne I find out what is happening with the other pens, but even w/ the tiny crack, I really like the feel of the one I carry.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Pastorbill,

Sorry to hear you are cracking up! After my experience, I bought stabilized water buffalo horn from CSUSA. I turned one right away. It is about 6 months old and still beautiful. Strongly recommend the product!!![:D][:D][:D]

Again, Nils, no charge.

Ed, my flock think I have been at the least a little cracked for a while. SOme days I am like the 2 old fellas sitting around reminiscing when one said, Now Bob, I forget, was it you or your brother who died in the war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom