Her first pens!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

Today at our club's skill enhancement session, I was asked to help a lady turn her very first pen....her first time at the lathe. This lady was the neighbor of one of our members and wanted to turn a pen for her fiancé for Christmas.
Short story..... she did wonderfully! Two pens complete! Second one for her daughter.
My student quickly mastered the spindle roughing gouge with scraping, peeling and planing cuts and I then had her do some planing cuts with a skew. After a couple learning blanks(no tube) to learn tool control, we drilled a blank and glued the tube. Then back to the lathe with a spalted silver maple blank I already had tubed up ready to go. After finishing this one, we prepped the blank we drilled and she turned it. This one is Osage Orange. Another wonderfully turned blank.
Both are assembled on gunmetal Mesa pens from Woodturningz and have Mylands friction finish and Renaissance Wax.
The Osage Orange blank is from a limb from the Citation Tree at River Farm....home of the American Horticultural Society.

Attachments

• BF0407A5-8C5A-4396-8AB5-4896AFC827CF.jpg
    BF0407A5-8C5A-4396-8AB5-4896AFC827CF.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 254
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Good to teach another person! She did a good job of turning and you did a good job of teaching. Next is to help her get a lathe, tools and accessories to get started.

Top Bottom