heoak? sheoak? sheWHAT?!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hey guys,

Another one, this time it's sheoak.

I had that blank prepared for a while, I finally had two FULL days off. Turning is so good for the soul! ;)

Thanks for looking and clicky the thumbnail!

Charles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Nice pen Charles, I've often wondered how they determine the sex of an Oak tree from Australia, , I have a few blanks I've been sent, and they do look a lot like Leopard wood, Some are called Hairy She Oak and others just She oak, but they do turn nicely, you did a bang up job as usual on the fit and excellent finish.

robutacion

A little story about the She/Bull-Oaks...!

Nicely done Charles...!:wink:

Is that one of mine...??? it looks like it and the general consensus is that She-Oak has a lighter reds and the rays are smaller/tighter, while its counterpart Bull-Oak also know as Bullock, has darker reds and the rays are a lot wider.

If that blank is one of mine, you have a rare species of the Oaks family, which is the combination of these 2 species generically modified by some nursery somewhere and planted all along the old Highway between McLaren Vale and Mt.Compass (where I live).

The local Council have decided to plant these new oaks in council land and as a nice tree edge in certain areas of this road, particularly in large interceptions where a miniature type garden was planted. Some are just planted about 10 meters off the roads edge and in a certain formation to maximize its effect...!

The only problem with these new/experimental oaks, which are called She/Bull-Oaks, for the reasons above explained, did not take well to the terrain/soil and atmospheric conditions, with the biggest enemy being the Termites that just love to eat this wood...!

This "planting" project was done around the 1990's, making the trees that are still standing, about 20 years old, a very short expectancy life indeed. Some of the newer trees have developed from seeds form their mother trees, the majority of what is still standing are these second generation of She/Bull-Oaks, the rest has been ripped and chipped by the Council guys and have been replaced with other species, that I don't know exactly what they are, yet.

I have been fortunate to access some of these trees that have been condemned to be destroyed, most are badly Termite affected, which will require some special attention when handling it and particularly when this wood is brought home, to be put together with other non-affected woods so, cleaning the wood and poisoning the termites is a must before that wood lives its original location.

There is another use this dead trees are very sourced for, and that is firewood, no doubt, one of the best woods there is for this purpose so, there is a lot of trees cutting/stealing, around here. While I have Council permission to remove and dispose to my own responsibility, some of these trees that have to be, inspected and marked by Council inspectors prior to removal, some don't care of any of that...!

I had some of the best/bigger trees of this She/Bull-Oak stolen, after they were cut and due to the small trailer we have (6x4), where left piled and covered with a brown tarp, where they fall (already all cut up...!), this time due to the trailer capacity and also the fact that we were tired from working all day in the sun and don't wanting to spend most of the night, going backs and forwards loading and unloading what would be a 5 trailer volume. We, comeback the next early morning to get the next load and, it was ALL gone, the only thing that was left behind were 4 empty can of energy drink, that these guys used to give them the energy to work very fast...!:mad:

Lesson learned, we only cut now what we can take with us in that trailer, unless we hire a truck to load it all in one go (used a few times already...)

So, and I'm sorry Charles and everyone else, to make this post so long but, that is the story of the She/Bull-Oak wood from this part of the Planet...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• Red timber evidence.jpg
    Red timber evidence.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 135
  • Timbers preparation 105_(1).jpg
    Timbers preparation 105_(1).jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 142
  • Last red tree091_(1).jpg
    Last red tree091_(1).jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

CharlesH

robutacion said:

Is that one of mine...??? it looks like it and the general consensus is that She-Oak has a lighter reds and the rays are smaller/tighter, while its counterpart Bull-Oak also know as Bullock, has darker reds and the rays are a lot wider.

It that blank is one of mine, you have a rare species of the Oaks family, which is the combination of these 2 species generically modified by some nursery somewhere and planted all along the old Highway between McLaren Vale and Mt.Compass (where I live).

The local Council have decided to plant these new oaks in council land and as a nice tree edge in certain areas of this road, particularly in large interceptions where a miniature type garden was planted. Some are just planted about 10 meters off the roads edge and in a certain formation to maximize its effect...!

The only problem with these new/experimental oaks, which are called She/Bull-Oaks, for the reasons above explained, did not take well to the terrain/soil and atmospheric conditions, with the biggest enemy being the Termites that just love to eat this wood...!

This "planting" project was done around the 1990's, making the trees that are still standing, about 20 years old, a very short expectancy life indeed. Some of the newer trees have developed from seeds form their mother trees, the majority of what is still standing are these second generation of She/Bull-Oaks, the rest has been ripped and chipped by the Council guys and have been replaced with other species, that I don't know exactly what they are, yet.

I have been fortunate to access some of these trees that have been condemned to be destroyed, most are badly Termite affected, which will require some special attention when handling it and particularly when this wood is brought home, to be put together with other non-affected woods so, cleaning the wood and poisoning the termites is a must before that wood lives its original location.

There is another use this dead trees are very sourced for, and that is firewood, no doubt, one of the best woods there is for this purpose so, there is a lot of trees cutting/stealing, around here. While I have Council permission to remove and dispose to my own responsibility, some of these trees that have to be, inspected and marked by Council inspectors prior to removal, some don't care of any of that...!

I had some of the best/bigger trees of this She/Bull-Oak stolen, after they were cut and due to the small trailer we have (6x4), where left piled and covered with a brown tarp, where they fall (already all cut up...!), this time due to the trailer capacity and also the fact that we were tired from working all day in the sun and don't wanting to spend most of the night, going backs and forwards loading and unloading what would be a 5 trailer volume. We, comeback the next early morning to get the next load and, it was ALL gone, the only thing that was left behind were 4 empty can of energy drink, that these guys used to give them the energy to work very fast...!:mad:

Lesson learned, we only cut now what we can take with us in that trailer, unless we hire a truck to load it all in one go (used a few times already...)

So, and I'm sorry Charles and everyone else, to make this post so long but, that is the story of the She/Bull-Oak wood from this part of the Planet...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Hey George,

Yes it is your's! I love reading your stories and thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Charles

Sent from my iTouch.

robutacion

robutacion said:

It that blank is one of mine, you have a rare species of the Oaks family, which is the combination of these 2 species generically modified by some nursery somewhere and planted all along the old Highway between McLaren Vale and Mt.Compass (where I live).

Cheers
George

Hey George,

Yes it is your's! I love reading your stories and thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Charles

Sent from my iTouch.

No problemo...!:wink:

I'm glad to see you using some of my timber bits and as always, I'm also glad to share the relevant info to everyone, this way, people have a reasonable knowledge and background info on timbers that I share...!

Cheers
George

jskeen

Now there's some timing for ya. I literally less than an hour ago dug through my "drawer-O-George" blanks and pulled one of these she/bull oak blanks out to use on a (non pen) project, and seriously, looked at the name on it and thought "hmmm, now what do you think that means". And here's the answer. Curioser and curioser said Alice.

Anyway, great looking pen and pic, as always Charles.

robutacion

Now there's some timing for ya. I literally less than an hour ago dug through my "drawer-O-George" blanks and pulled one of these she/bull oak blanks out to use on a (non pen) project, and seriously, looked at the name on it and thought "hmmm, now what do you think that means". And here's the answer. Curioser and curioser said Alice.

Anyway, great looking pen and pic, as always Charles.

Well, I'm glad to know that you are also into the Georges' treasures drawer, you should have some "goodies" in there still or you are running out...???:wink::biggrin:

It surprises me sometimes that out of literally thousands of woods I see all the time, how I can pick up on those that I processed, considering that most of what I see is a little portion of the blank that once was...!:)

While my passion are "woods", all kinds from anywhere on Earth, I also like to have some background info about them. This sometimes is quite easy, other times, a nearly impossible task but, I go deep into the search/questions/phone calls, emails, etc., looking for an answer, regardless how long it takes...!:)

Cheers
George

Top Bottom