HelterSkelter Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from eharri446

eharri446

Here is a pen that I made last night. The blank was a black and white acrylic that I found in the acrylic cut off bin at my local Woodcraft store and the pen is a black Wall Street II.

View in Gallery

I combined four images of the pen to show all of the blank. I apologize for the yellow tinge in the image. I think this was caused by using my iPhone to take the images.

All comments and constructive criticisms appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talltim

Interesting pen and blank. My only other observation is on your choice of name for the pen. Ever since Charles Manson, helter skelter has been associated with rather grim things.

-------------------------
"Good enough is the enemy of great."

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

eharri446

I was referring to the way the white lines seemed to wander everywhere. I did not even think about Charles Mason when I called it that.

Talltim

I was very confident you did not have that in mind. Nor was I trying to detract from your pen. It is just interesting how culture and events can hijack a perfectly good word.

When I lived in England for a while I used some words that obviously had been influenced by their culture. And had people declare me as rude.

Keep turning my friend.

-------------------------
"Good enough is the enemy of great."

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

OZturner

An Attractive Pen Elwin.
An Eye Catching Blank, Beautifully Turned, Fitted and Finished,
Mates Well with the Black Wall Street II Hardware.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Dehn0045

Interesting pen and blank. My only other observation is on your choice of name for the pen. Ever since Charles Manson, helter skelter has been associated with rather grim things.

I was looking through old posts and decided I had to reply to this one. When I first read the post (when it was originally posted a couple weeks back) I thought the same thing, but did a little research and found that Helter Skelter is the name of a song on The Beatles debut album (this is where Manson got the term). McCartney actually said the song was named after a child's playground slide, and is meant to represent the ride from top to bottom of the Roman Empire, rise and fall, the song being the fall - I think that's what he was getting at. It's a really rough sounding song, and is credited with influencing heavy metal and grunge. This was an interesting new perspective on something that I always just associated with a psychopath. Thought others might find this interesting too...

Talltim

Well since I brought it up..... actually the word pre-dates the Beatles by about 360 yrs. And in the historical idea of the word it very appropriately describes his pen.

The major point, which we all clearly see, is that Mr. Harrison turned a very nice pen and matched it very nicely with its hardware. Perhaps the fact that the usage of the word which he named it runs in all different directions makes it even more uniquely appropriate. Even the fact that it's usage has a light side and a dark side fits. The more I have thought about it, it is a very clever name in multiple ways.

Well done.

Last edited:

Dehn0045

Not from their debut album. From their album titled "The Beatles", often referred to as the "White Album". Very nice pen by the way.

Yep, I was thinking "self titled debut album", which is so often the case. I stand corrected.

Well since I brought it up..... actually the word pre-dates the Beatles by about 360 yrs. And in the historical idea of the word it very appropriately describes his pen.

The major point, which we all clearly see, is that Mr. Harrison turned a very nice pen and matched it very nicely with its hardware. Perhaps the fact that the usage of the word which he named it runs in all different directions makes it even more uniquely appropriate. Even the fact that it's usage has a light side and a dark side fits. The more I have thought about it, it is a very clever name in multiple ways.

Well done.

Interesting note on the history. It is fun to learn that these symbols and words have such deep meanings. I have to agree, the more that I think about it, the more fitting the name is for the pen. The black hardware is probably the best way to convey the disorder - chrome or gold would be too "orderly" and finished -- the black just tells me that the pen ends at the blank. Its a beautiful pen, and I am glad I got the chance to revisit it.

Top Bottom