Help locating an Engineer Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BobBurt

BobBurt

Looking to make an "Engineer" pen

our daughter recently got her P Eng designation as a Civil Engineer. Sooooo, I want to make her a pen, what are my options as far a kits are concerned????

Thank you in advance

Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I don't know of any particular kit that screams out "Engineer"

I've been wanting to make one for myself & I was thinking of using the Texas PE seal to make a decal pen, but the official Texas PE seal just doesn't look that attractive for a pen decal. I'm looking at some different design ideas, but I haven't come up with one that I really like yet.

magpens

There are some engineering-oriented laser-cut pen blanks that you can put on a standard kit like a Sierra or a Bolt Action.

Try :

Kallenshaanwoods.com

WoodnWhimsies.com

Lazerlinez.com

ExoticBlanks.com - search for Kallenshaan, and also Master Scroller

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
There are some engineering-oriented laser-cut pen blanks that you can put on a standard kit like a Sierra or a Bolt Action.

Try :

Kallenshaanwoods.com

WoodnWhimsies.com

Lazerlinez.com

ExoticBlanks.com - search for Kallenshaan, and also Master Scroller

You are correct that there are several mechanical and technology oriented blanks available, and I should have mentioned them in case one of them might be adequate for Bob's purpose.

However, I don't personally consider any of them suitable to specifically commemorate someone being a Registered Professional Engineer.

I want something along the lines of the MD/Caduceus blank or the Physical Therapy blank that Cody & I recently made for a cousin who is getting her PhD in PT.

I'm sure that a PE blank will have to be a custom design and I'm working on some ideas, I just haven't settled on a design that I really like yet. I'm open to suggestions though.

magpens

You are right, Edgar ... there is nothing that says "P.E." ... and there really should be.

Tracey at WoodNWhimsies might be willing to do such a design based on an engineers input.

I am not a PE myself so don't know of a suitable design, but it is something that might appeal to quite a few people and go over well.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
You are right, Edgar ... there is nothing that says "P.E." ... and there really should be.

Tracey at WoodNWhimsies might be willing to do such a design based on an engineers input.

I am not a PE myself so don't know of a suitable design, but it is something that might appeal to quite a few people and go over well.

Thanks for that suggestion, Mal. I will definitely contact them about it.

One problem is that there is not a universal symbol that generally covers all disciplines of engineering in a manner that the Caduceus applies to MDs, regardless of specialty, but I will kick some ideas around with them to see if they might have some interest in it.

jttheclockman

Thanks for that suggestion, Mal. I will definitely contact them about it.

One problem is that there is not a universal symbol that generally covers all disciplines of engineering in a manner that the Caduceus applies to MDs, regardless of specialty, but I will kick some ideas around with them to see if they might have some interest in it.

Measuring device such as calipers or micrometers would be what I would focus on. If I got the right engineer thing.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
As an ME, with PE friends. The PE is primarily required for Civil Engineering and for those Mechanical Engineers who work on structures. Therefore a blank with something like this that with PE added would work for a female PE Civil Engineer.

https://0.s3.envato.com/files/102933467/sun 1.jpg

You are correct that States and Municipalities are primarily concerned about Civil Engineers stamping and certifying their structural designs.

However, there are many engineering disciplines and we get our degrees in those specific areas (Electrical, Chemical, Petroleum, Industrial, Aeronautics, Civil, Mechanical, etc.) - most of which generally fall under the broader categories of Electrical, Mechanical, Civil & Chemical. Laws and regulations concerning the practice of engineering are regulated by the individual states. I can't speak for any other state, but here in Texas, you can only call yourself an engineer and offer engineering services if you are a registered PE. Once you have that registration, there are no restrictions on the type of engineering that you can practice or the types of designs, studies or drawings that you can certify. It is up to the individual engineer to ethically represent himself as being sufficiently knowledgeable and experienced to certify the accuracy and validity of anything that he attaches his seal to.

I only practice electrical engineering and the nature of my work does not often require a formal seal, but occasionally I do have to stamp and certify some of my designs and studies. Sometimes it is for state-related work, but usually it's just a requirement of our clients as assurance that the work done for them was performed by a qualified engineer.

Anyway, a simple symbol like calipers with PE lettering might be adequate for many, but I want something that more broadly encompasses at least the 4 major fields of Civil, Mechanical, Electrical & Chemical. I think that would have a wider appeal to more engineers. I just haven't come up with a combination of symbols that looks good together yet.

magpens

I wonder if Jeff Powell could be interested in doing a Rotacrylic blank (preferrably single barrel) with a design like this on it.
The silhouette stying would really fit in with his product line.

I really like Rotacrylics because they are quick and easy to turn, fit, and polish (rather than a wood inlay which takes more time and needs a finish coat).

As an ME, with PE friends. The PE is primarily required for Civil Engineering and for those Mechanical Engineers who work on structures. Therefore a blank with something like this that with PE added would work for a female PE Civil Engineer.

https://0.s3.envato.com/files/102933467/sun%201.jpg

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I wonder if Jeff Powell could be interested in doing a Rotacrylic blank (preferrably single barrel) with a design like this on it.
The silhouette stying would really fit in with his product line.

I really like Rotacrylics because they are quick and easy to turn, fit, and polish (rather than a wood inlay which takes more time and needs a finish coat).

Another great idea. I've done a few inlays, and they are nice, but I'm not a big fan of them just because of the time involved - I like quick & easy. :)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

Bob, one problem with that image is that engineers aren't always allowed to practice surveying unless they also have a surveyor's certification - again it's a state-by-state thing.

Texas used to allow PEs to do surveying and my brother & I did perform a few surveys back when it was permitted. However Texas changed that some years back and I didn't do enough to justify the time & expense to get an official surveying license.

I may be wrong, but I believe the same is true for California.

KenV

Bob, one problem with that image is that engineers aren't always allowed to practice surveying unless they also have a surveyor's certification - again it's a state-by-state thing.

Texas used to allow PEs to do surveying and my brother & I did perform a few surveys back when it was permitted. However Texas changed that some years back and I didn't do enough to justify the time & expense to get an official surveying license.

I may be wrong, but I believe the same is true for California.

Edgar, there is a license required in most states for land boundary surveying and recordation (Registered Land Surveyor) but many other surveying processes that are not related to land boundaries are done by engineers and engineering technicians. Have done a fair amount of levels and lots of site surveys.

RobS

I guess, I'm too old school. But every civil I know had to go out an survey. It was a requirement to get their degree, I did not tend to imply she is a surveyor. It was meant to elicit the time and energy that went in to the degree and the license that follows. I recommended the image by placing myself in the shoes of the CE and wondering what they would find cool.

CA has a lot of weird stuff going on, let's leave it at that. I did not get my PE, I went with a different round of letters after my name. My hats off to those of you that Pulled it off. I completed my EIT, but got side tracked and never finished the PE. The reference book however, is one of the best out there.
Robs PhD

Jgrden

Hmmmm, not to side track this intention but I have a contractor that wants a pen with hammers, nails, saws and stuff on it. On eBay there was a Chinese firm selling miniature tools and they were ordered. It has been about twenty days and it does not look like they will make the trip. so why am I posting hits? Dunno, I guess if you wanted to start from scratch this might be an idea. Engineer: transits, levels, slide rule, computer, digital, regulations, municipality, all features of an engineer. My two cents.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Hmmmm, not to side track this intention but I have a contractor that wants a pen with hammers, nails, saws and stuff on it. On eBay there was a Chinese firm selling miniature tools and they were ordered. It has been about twenty days and it does not look like they will make the trip. so why am I posting hits? Dunno, I guess if you wanted to start from scratch this might be an idea. Engineer: transits, levels, slide rule, computer, digital, regulations, municipality, all features of an engineer. My two cents.

I am going to make a pen with a slide rule for myself - 50 years ago, nothing said "engineer" better than a slide rule. Nowadays most engineering students probably don't even know what they are, let alone how to use them.

magpens

Hmmm ... Edgar, I can't quite see how you are going to do that ! . Won't the graduations get turned off and you'll just see bamboo or whatever ? . Perhaps you'll ask me to just be patient and see when you post the picture ! :)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Hmmm ... Edgar, I can't quite see how you are going to do that ! . Won't the graduations get turned off and you'll just see bamboo or whatever ? . Perhaps you'll ask me to just be patient and see when you post the picture ! :)

LOL! Don't take what I said too literally - I don't have near the skill to even attempt something like that - I was thinking in terms of a casted decal blank.

Now that you mention it though, a pen made to look like a tiny slide rule would be really cool. :)

Krash

You could use a decal of the National Society of Professional Engineers.

Attachments

• NSPE.jpg
    NSPE.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 169

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
That's a nice logo. but I'm not a member of NSPE & I'm not sure I want to spend $312 to join just to be able to legally use the logo. :eek:

Top Bottom