Help Closed end Cocobolo El Grande

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from igran7

igran7

tn_Closed%20end%20Cocobolo%2005.jpg

I made this Closed-end Cocobolo El grande pen yesterday. I also tried to make it a closed top with a recessed clip. However, i ran into trouble recessing the clip, so I turned the top with a tennon and inserted it like a normal metal top. The pen turned out okay, but it is not what I was trying to accomplish. Can anyone give me some insight on inserting recessed clips? Thanks, all comments are appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Even if it isn't what you wanted, it still looks good. Did you look in the library for the two articles on recessing the clip ring? One of them is by Mike Vickery(vick) and the other is by Bill Jackman(bjackman). You should find all the help you need and two different approaches in those articles.

vick

For an El Grande kit you will have to use Bill Jackman's method. The method I described (Russ Fairfiled's) will only work on kits with a certain type of clip.

igran7

Thank you all for your kind words, I really appreciate them. However, I still don't know how to recess the clip.:( Can anyone please help me. I couldn't find the article by Bjackman, Bill if you are out there can you please steer me in the right direction. Thank you.

LanceD

Originally posted by igran7

Thank you all for your kind words, I really appreciate them. However, I still don't know how to recess the clip.:( Can anyone please help me. I couldn't find the article by Bjackman, Bill if you are out there can you please steer me in the right direction. Thank you.

Go to the top of the page and click on Features. Then on the drop down box click on The Library. Then go to Library Articles. A list will appear with all of the articles. Scroll down and click on the title of the article you're looking for.

Firefyter-emt

Do you want to recess the clip, or insert it in the cap as a closed end? IMHO, recessed is "ho hum" but with a inserted clip, you have a killer look. To insert it, you need to cit a tiny slit into the cap. Then you cut the clip so that the loop is "C" shaped and can fit inside the tube. With the "C" shape, you can hook it thru the slot and once inside the cap, some epoxy and a "slip tube" can be pressed into the cap to help retain the clip in place.

You might want to practice this method, or even use this method bu cutting the slot before you have finished turning the pen. This allows "error room" to damage the wood and then turn it down once the slot is cut.

its_virgil

When did the name change? What you describe as an inserted clip has been called a recessed clip: the tutorials by Bill Jackman, Mike Vickery, and Russ Fairfield showed us how it's done.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Firefyter-emt

Do you want to recess the clip, or insert it in the cap as a closed end? IMHO, recessed is "ho hum" but with a inserted clip, you have a killer look. To insert it, you need to cit a tiny slit into the cap. Then you cut the clip so that the loop is "C" shaped and can fit inside the tube. With the "C" shape, you can hook it thru the slot and once inside the cap, some epoxy and a "slip tube" can be pressed into the cap to help retain the clip in place.

You might want to practice this method, or even use this method bu cutting the slot before you have finished turning the pen. This allows "error room" to damage the wood and then turn it down once the slot is cut.

Firefyter-emt

There was also an old tutorial where the clip was recessed into the top of the cap and under the final post, but left stock. The upper cap was modified. That is more what I would say is a recessed clip, as it is rescesed. The "inserted clip" is not really recessed into cap as much as it's fully modified.

This is why I asked "which way" he wanted to do it. Two totaly diffrent methods and where he did not make it a closed end, his question sounded more like he wished to hide it the way the original El-Grande trim ring under the clip hid the clip. ;)

igran7

Thanks Don & Lee. I had always heard of the proceedure refered to as a recessed clip. I could be wrong on the verbage. My original intent was to make the pen a closed end top and bottom with the clip sticking out of the top barrel with no visibile cap ring. Since, I wasn't able to accomplish this, I simply cut the closed end portion of the upper barrel off and made a cap with a tenon as seen in the picture.

its_virgil

It that older tutorial was by Jay Pickens, he called the "countersunk clip". I'm not trying to argue, but I think most associate "recessed" clip as the hidden clip on a closed end pen. Brass tubes are inserted.:D[}:)];)
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Firefyter-emt

There was also an old tutorial where the clip was recessed into the top of the cap and under the final post, but left stock.

Tanner

I'm glad you were able to save it, as it looks beautiful. Nice try on the recessed clip. I have not tried one yet. I think I'll do what Lee said and practice a few.[:I]

Top Bottom