Helix rollerball in Amboyna burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bossef

bossef

First post and first picture... I start turning pen 2 weeks ago and I really like it. Here one a maid last week. Its a Helix roller dressed in in 2 colors Amboyna burl finish with CA... I reserve the other blanks for a majestic as soon as I feel that my skills are up to the task .

Thanks for looking...

pen2.jpg

Francis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jmbaker79

Very nice pen, Great job on both fit and finish, and the photo came out quite nice as well! Job well done on your first post!

BSea

By the looks of this one, I'm thinking you should go ahead and start on the Majestic now!:wink: Good job.
That's what I was thinking. Either that, or just jump right in to kitless.

Good job on the pen. And nice CA finish. That can be really tricky starting out.

Fishinbo

Wow! That is some beautiful wood, great turning on that amazing Amboyna. Skillful enough for the majestic. Great job!

seamus7227

really there is no difference between the two. Your skills are obviously dead on, so what are you waiting on, get busy mister!:biggrin:

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Go for it, Francis. I'ts Majestic time. Great job on Beutiful Wood. Fit and Finish, right on! Amboyna is not always the easiest wood to get a good finish, but you scored a touchdown!

Last edited:

PenPal

Francis,

First for the forum yes best pic of the year, yes best pen today yes.

Now amateur photographer no, IT professional yes, published nature photographer extraordinaire yes.

Absolutely talented no question about that.

I wandered through your web site completely convinced you have the photo media under your belt, you have an eye for extreme timber you chose a beaut mix of burl , sapwood and kit.
Viva la kit I have mixed feelings somewhat like watching my motherinlaw driving over a cliff in my new car regarding non kit pens something about graduating rumours from one to the other.

Why most cars are to be likened to kits like rabbits lots of them but accessorised to make them individual, horses for courses.

Now this forum is replete with accessorising penmakers and I dabble as well but show me one soul who would disagree your pen is in there proud and clean lines proclaiming the best
way to display exceptional burl.

Noting you know the value of a pic is worth a thousand words I must say again how utterly impressed I am with your first submission to the forum, more than a breath of fresh air it is invigorating, what the site is dedicated to true penmanship and sharing talents, skills.

Surely a front page if ever I have seen one,by this I mean when you open the site a pen is displayed for a time as a feature. Your pen is worthy, now for the duration of the bash featured pens are off the menu however?.

Lately pen submissions have taken second place IMHO to general news gossip etc, bring back the pens. I am so inspired by your pen. I have a set of Amboyna from my side of the world crying out now for release into pens.

Francis I can hardly wait to see your next and so forth, thank you for the revitalising pen.

Kind regards Peter.

B Wo

Your first pen is a $40 Helix Rollerball.....and it comes out looking like that. Wow....just....wow

Haha, my sentiments exactly. That is a great looking pen. I have an affinity for amboyna, too, as others have expressed. It looks great, and as if that wasn't good enough, it smells great while you're turning it.

Your photograph is excellent. What did you use for the back drop?

-Brian

SDB777

First post and first picture... I start turning pen 2 weeks ago and I really like it. Here one a maid last week. Its a Helix roller dressed in in 2 colors Amboyna burl finish with CA... I reserve the other blanks for a majestic as soon as I feel that my skills are up to the task .

Thanks for looking...

Francis

Two weeks.....dang, I missed out on an important 'gene' or something. Don't think I could do this level of works now....

Perfect timber, with a great fit-n-finish to show it off! Well done!!!

As for the Majestic, from looking at this one, you should have photo'd them together! Your more then ready! BTW, Welcome aboard!!!!!

Scott (t'was an honor to look upon this-thank you!) B

Top Bottom