Hedge fence post pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from iowacobb

iowacobb

Hi everyone,

I made this pen from a chuck of old fence post I found on the farm. The wood is hedge, more formally known as osage orange. I like how some of the natural edge is still visible in the lower barrel.

Photo's not the best (used my iphone).
hedge-post-pen.jpg

a2WjsS-3r

Comments welcome.

Thanks,
Tim McGill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eranox

Osage orange is one of my favorites. None of mine has the figure or character that yours does, though! I like the piece of fence post in the background, too. Beautiful work!

iowacobb

Thanks

Thanks for the kind words. I was looking at the pen again last night and noticed a hairline crack near the centerband. I didn't have any difficulty during pressing in the transmission that I recall so maybe the wood dried out in the house and caused it to crack.

Anyone else had trouble with aged osage orange cracking?

JohnU

Anyone else had trouble with aged osage orange cracking?

Unfortunately yes. Osage is beautiful but also very hard and dense. I can't tell you how many times I've filled crack with fine sanding dust and CA on Osage.
Very nice work and a beautiful pen!

SDB777

Your gonna have everyone out pulling fence posts out of the ground now! Woohoo!!! Seriously though, the old-timers knew this wood was a long lasting type and used it for fencing all over the place(at least where they had access to the trees).

The years have made for some great character in this piece! Nicely finished too!

Did you happen to 'score' enough to be able to crosscut some of it?

Scott (natural edge is awesome) B

iowacobb

Thanks for the comments. My son asked to borrow a pen to take on a boy scout trip so I gave it to him. Besides, I can always make another.

I do have a couple of larger sections that I might be able to get an angle cut from. I'll have to try that. And, there's more in the field :rolleyes:.

healeydays

Your gonna have everyone out pulling fence posts out of the ground now! Woohoo!!! Seriously though, the old-timers knew this wood was a long lasting type and used it for fencing all over the place(at least where they had access to the trees).

The years have made for some great character in this piece! Nicely finished too!

Did you happen to 'score' enough to be able to crosscut some of it?

Scott (natural edge is awesome) B

Unfortunately, as mikespenturningz can attest to, tearing down the old boundary fences won't happen here in NH. Our ancestors did it in rock walls as we are land of hidden boulders, and they are a bear to turn.

They even have laws here in New England against rock wall poachers...

Mike B

Last edited:
Top Bottom