Heart Pine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikeinSC

MikeinSC

I bumped into a furniture maker that I know last week who offered an endless supply of heart pine and other wooden drops. He exclusively uses salvaged wood and iron works to make beautiful work.
Given the history and beauty of Charleston, I can only begin to imagine where this wood was, what it saw and the age of it. Did it witness the civil war, the writing of the Declaration of Independence? Who knows.
I used a PSI antique gun metal slimline and finished as he finishes his furniture. Cut, shape, sand then paste wax. No fillers or fixing anything unless its major.

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Very nice. I have some old growth pine with very tight rings. It makes great pens. In fact that's what's in my avatar. See if your friend has any long enough to cross cut.

I love wood with a story. But I doubt that it saw the Signing of the Declaration of Independence since that was in Philly.:biggrin:

MikeinSC

I have some that I could use for crosscuts. I'll give that a shot. And I didn't say the signing of the declaration but the writing of it. Much of it was written in Charleston.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Very nice. I have some old growth pine with very tight rings. It makes great pens. In fact that's what's in my avatar. See if your friend has any long enough to cross cut.

I love wood with a story. But I doubt that it saw the Signing of the Declaration of Independence since that was in Philly.:biggrin:
Who knows, maybe it came from a tall tree.....:biggrin:

BSea

And I didn't say the signing of the declaration but the writing of it. Much of it was written in Charleston.
That's interesting. I've visited both Charleston & Philadelphia, and never recall hearing that. To be fair though, I only had a day in Charleston. It's on my list of places to go back to visit.

MikeinSC

How about we replace Declaration of Independence with the Constitution? That's what I was thinking of but became stupid and it's been bothering me all day that something was wrong.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
How about we replace Declaration of Independence with the Constitution? That's what I was thinking of but became stupid and it's been bothering me all day that something was wrong.
Well John Rutledge of South Carolina was a writer on "the committee of detail" but that would be as close as the Constitution would have been to being written in SC. It was also written in Philadelphia. And the Confederate Constitution was written in Montgomery Alabama.

Last edited:

GaryMGg

I'm a big fan of Old Growth Heart Pine.
I've got hundreds of feet of OGHP taken from a home near ours; it was built in the 1870's using locally harvested timbers.
I imagine the wood has innumerable stories--if only there was a way to extract those.

This URL, http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/3231/1_endGrainAHP_1.jpg, shows a Cigar in OGHP. Look at the ring density.
Fragile wood--turned cross-grain. :wink:

MikeinSC

It may have been assembled elsewhere, using different plans and documents submitted to the committee, most of what was used was authored here in Charleston.

MikeinSC

I'm a big fan of Old Growth Heart Pine.
I've got hundreds of feet of OGHP taken from a home near ours; it was built in the 1870's using locally harvested timbers.
I imagine the wood has innumerable stories--if only there was a way to extract those.

This URL, http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/3231/1_endGrainAHP_1.jpg, shows a Cigar in OGHP. Look at the ring density.
Fragile wood--turned cross-grain. :wink:

Gary,
That prompted an immediate and very jealous "oohhhh". Very beautiful.

PenPal

I have some that I could use for crosscuts. I'll give that a shot. And I didn't say the signing of the declaration but the writing of it. Much of it was written in Charleston.

The 42nd signee was a cousin of mine. I had Captn Garry cut me two faxcimile copies of the Declaraion in timber and value them highly.

Kind regards Peter.

Top Bottom