Heading deeper into corn country

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from low_48

low_48

Heading out tomorrow to meet with the oldest living descendants of the Coers family. 90 year old couple that I haven't seen since 1985 when they came to my Dad's funeral. Thought these would be appropriate gifts. I hadn't done these in a long time. I turned them a heavy 1/16" oversize, then soaked with thin CA off the lathe. 3 coats of medium CA after final turning. A sharp skew like always.

Attachments

• corncobs.jpg
    corncobs.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

Deeper into corn country?? Iowa?? Nice gesture. I'm sure they will get a big kick out of them.

Tampico, il. Not really much different than my little home town of Hartsburg, but she used a Caseys as a landmark for our driving instructions. So, I guess that makes it a bigger town, or just more isolated. Hartsburg is too close to Lincoln to get a Caseys.

low_48

Have you ever tried stabilizing them. I hope it will work as I'm planning to harden some that way.

I've never stabilized them, but many do. These are just about as hard as soft maple so I don't feel it's a necessity. I do prefer a white cob as compared to red. The white has a deeper red interior after you get past the chaff. I was told these are from a hybrid nicknamed waxy corn. For red cobs, I like to dye them a deep red to give them some color.

low_48

Wait a minute. Rich, you really make pens?!?!?!? Who knew?

First George Watkins, now Rich Coers. Who's next, Jeff Brown?

Actually the second batch this month. I had a past customer order 22 pens earlier. I've made more pens in the last month, than the total for the last 2 years!

Top Bottom