He' was a Yankee Doodle Dandy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OKLAHOMAN

OKLAHOMAN

Seems almost a given that I had to make this pen today. Eagles 4Th of July blank. As some of you might know when he was alive he would go into town and get a cup of Java and look for someone in uniform to give a pen to. He would walk up to them hand them a pen and just say " I'm Eagle thank you for you service".
As a side note Eagle thought of Lou Metcalf (DCBluesman) as a brother and Lou thought of him the same way, so even though Lou doesn't visit much anymore here's wishing both Lou and Amiee happy anniversary.

IMG_2617.jpg
IMG_2618.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

This is just a beautiful pen. Eagle did such magnificent blanks and you have finished it into an excellent piece of art. I'm thinking that must make you the artist. :wink: Excellent choice of components - I really like the look of the silver nib with this one........

Thank you for posting both of these pens, you have made this day a little more special than it already is.

Linda

IPD_Mr

Remember and enjoy this day Roy. This link has been forwarded to Lou. Hopefully he and Aimee will have a few moments to take a look. I know how much it would mean to him.

Eagle sure would get a kick out of how much we still fuss over him, and I wonder how he would feel about being compared to James Cagney. :tongue:

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Lou, if you read this, then I wish you and Aimee all the very best.:biggrin:
Miss you, Buddy!!:wink:

jskeen

Emotionally this one is not as compelling as the antler, but visually it's phenomenal. I've seen and drooled over several feather blanks, but this one takes the prize for optical impact. Seeing his concept completed (beautifully, btw) reminds me again how special the inner vision that first saw it was.

Two of these in three days though, you better give the sphincters a rest :)

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Roy: Though I never had the pleasure of having met the Eagle, I feel as if I have learned to know him through our kids M&L. I have heard nothing but pure respect and admiration for him and his work, both from them and others who had the good fortune of having made his acquaintance. I have never seen any of his finished work, but I'm sure your treatment of this blank is as it would have appeared and would make him proud. What a tribute!!! You too have entered the hearts of many by giving your heart to many. Thanks for the final touches on the blank and for sharing it with the rest of us. The Red, White and Blue looks pretty darned good too, and a wonderful Anniversary Memorial

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Roy. Never met Eagle but admire his skill. I got to hold some Eagle blanks in my hand and examine them at the MPG this year thanks to Dawn. (Ed never took his eyes off me while I had them in my hand!). Just kidding. I tried to convince him that Dawn had sold them to me but he didn't bite! lol

GaryMGg

Roy,
That's just absolutely stunning.
Those are certainly the Eagle's feathers.
What can anyone say; NPGJ!
:biggrin:

Lou, if you're reading this, we miss ya buddy.

What a great tribute to the Fourth of July.

IPD_Mrs

Roy: Though I never had the pleasure of having met the Eagle, I feel as if I have learned to know him through our kids M&L. I have heard nothing but pure respect and admiration for him and his work, both from them and others who had the good fortune of having made his acquaintance. I have never seen any of his finished work, but I'm sure your treatment of this blank is as it would have appeared and would make him proud. What a tribute!!! You too have entered the hearts of many by giving your heart to many. Thanks for the final touches on the blank and for sharing it with the rest of us. The Red, White and Blue looks pretty darned good too, and a wonderful Anniversary Memorial

It is a shame you never got to meet Eagle Dad - you and he would have gotten along SMASHINGLY as he reminded me a good deal of you.

As for his finished work - you probably don't remember - but you have held at least 4 of completed works of his in your hands. The first we ever did was the blue eagle feathers that we commissioned for Erin - and that began a wonderful friendship with Eagle and many of his inner circle. Then there is the redwood wave that is my carry fountain - he sent me that to turn just because he felt bad that I didn't get a chance to turn anything of his when Mike did the feathers. (I understand the sphincter factor Roy!) The black with fuschia wave that is Mike's desk pen was our third and my black and silver feathers done without the three stripes on a roller was the last one (I think it may be the only one - but without Lynn's input can't be for certain) - it was given to us as a gift from his widow at the DC show and took us a long time before Mike got that one turned.

We still have two more of his blanks left. Not anything fancy - but Eagle's none the less.

Lynn

Top Bottom