Having fun with my newest hobby!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DB in VT

DB in VT

I made my first pen earlier this year. At that time it was a thing of beauty. My opinion of that pen has since changed. I am always looking to do something different.
This pen was a kit that I paired up with a box elder burl blank. By happenstance, the final sanding was done with a piece of 1200 grit paper that I thought was new. As soon as it touched the pen I realized that it had previously been used on a piece of ebony. The ebony dust transferred to the box elder. The effect was striking. It brought out the contrast in the grain and I decided to quit and finish it that way.
This pen, although simple and not very creative in design, remains one of my favorite pens. It get a lot of comments but it stays in my possession.

Attachments

• box elder burl pen.jpg
    box elder burl pen.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 238
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Very well done. In my opinion a fantastic pen does not need to be some fancy design. Of the pens I have made, my favorite is a Sierra with Red Cedar. Nothing fancy but the colors of the wood after I put on the WOP finish are just amazing. The moment I finished it I knew my wife would want it. I was right. Of the pens I have made it is her favorite too.

magpens

Nice work, Dennis !!!! . The ebony dust indeed lends an unusual and very attractive coloration to the pen.

Top Bottom