Have you tried Juma? Very cool material.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from More4dan

More4dan

Turner's Warehouse added this material recently. I've seen it for knife handles but when the pen blanks came out I had to give it a go. Very easy drilling and turning. The kit is the Chrome Deco (Jr Harold Twist) from Exotic Blanks.

Danny

3d0c2fa06ec8788afadd5fb953627d43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

More4dan

I did back paint the blank. I did scratch the paint with the tube but the tube doesn't show. I would paint to be safe. Here is the color I used. It was very close to the colors in the blank.
5838dd7bd83e7f8367ea14a2e4fe7626.jpg

Also the material turns really nicely with soft ribbons coming off the blank. I turned with carbide and went straight to 500 grit wet sand and then through MM to 12000 followed by pink rouge on the buffer.
81ccf956ad77b747aa35e91cee82d3ca.jpg

SteveG

Hey Danny...I AM SAD,

Sad that I have not YET tried Juma.

It is definitely on my list to try. That is a beautiful color that you selected, and nice work on the pen! Thanks for posting. :) :highfive:

More4dan

Thanks guys for the kind comments. The blanks I got were about 6" long so I have enough to make a Sierra style with the left over material. I also got the brown/golden color. What to make next?

Last edited:

More4dan

Before I clicked on the link, I thought to myself "That looks a lot like reptile skin".
Nice pen my friend.

Herb thanks. I was looking at your profile and under your interests it reminded me of the importance of proper comma use. [emoji2]. Maybe rearrange the order, "Cooking, my dogs ..." may give folks the wrong idea.

Last edited:

eldee

Great looking pen. I have seen Juma before, but the turner did not want to reveal his source at the time. Thanks for sharing!

More4dan

Great looking pen. I have seen Juma before, but the turner did not want to reveal his source at the time. Thanks for sharing!

Word was there was only one distributor for Juma in the US for the material, a custom pool cue supply company. Then Turners Warehouse sent out an email about a month ago that they were selling Juma pen blanks. The material is a thermoplastic that can be heated and formed. I'm guessing it's made with an injection molding processes. I've talked to others that have tried to replicate it without success.

Top Bottom