Have a Heart!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tom McMillan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom McMillan

I wasn't sure I could make another pen similar to the one I did for Provo (the Purpleheart/BOW pen with a heart), so, took another stab at it with Redheart/BOW and Yellowheart/BOW (note--the BOW has a lot more grain on the backside of the pens---for these pens I like the plainer grain in the front).

200572605036_heartpensetc%20076.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodwish

Looks great! I won't show this to my oldest daughter, her birthday is Valentine's day so she thinks she should have one of everything with a heart on it. Do us a favor and explain how you did it[?]

Tom McMillan

Thanks Folks!! I turn the bottom wood to a dimension a little larger than the bushings, then drill out the top wood to slip over the bottom wood and glue it on. To make the heart I made a small paper heart that I use as a guide and draw a pencil line around it in the position I want it on the lower barrel. Then I use a rasp and rough out the heart shapes---then I use sandpaper to refine it and go through at least 600 grit. I would think carving tools would be a good alternative to the rasp---but, I've become accustomed to the rasp (actually a small bastard file) with my spiral pens---so have used it for the heart pens and my pens with a Cross also.

BigRob777

Awesome work Tom,
That redheart looks even deeper than bloodwood. I'll have to look into it. I am still waiting to hear from my connection in Israel, for the Jerusalem Olivewood trade. I'll let you know when it comes in. Did you use that curly spalted oak blank yet? I'd love to see the pen, or pens you make with that. This kind of work is way out of my "jurisdiction" right now, but I like to see terrific work.
Rob

PenWorks

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Awesome, Tom. When I grow up I want to be just like you!

I really don't want to grow up just quite yet, but if I did, I would want to make heart pens just like that. [:)]

Super pens, super job, nice to see you back at work [8D]

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Tom McMillan
<br />I wasn't sure I could make another pen similar to the one I did for Provo (the Purpleheart/BOW pen with a heart), so, took another stab at it with Redheart/BOW and Yellowheart/BOW
Well, I guess you found out - you can! [;)] They are both nice, but I think the redheart one is more striking

elody21

Beautiful pens I like the bloodwood one the best. Have you ever thought of using purpleheart for a military pen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom