Havana with Volcanic Ash blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hilltopper46

hilltopper46

This is the last Havana ball point pen hardware I had. I'd been saving it for a couple years. Matched now to a M3-Volcanic Ash blank from PSI. Polished to a matte finish, as recommended by PSI.

Interesting stuff to work with. Comments / criticisms are welcome.

Attachments

• Pen606.JPG
    Pen606.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 328
  • Pen606a.JPG
    Pen606a.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 228
  • Pen606b.JPG
    Pen606b.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

patmurris

Interesting blank. Too bad the picture is so grainy - it's hard to tell whether the colors are from the blank or just noise...

Last edited:

Buzzzz4

patmurris said:
Interesting blank. Too bad the picture is so grainy - it's hard to tell whether the colors are from the blank or just noise...

Looks great on my computer. No graininess. Beautiful.

hilltopper46

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone.

This is one of the most difficult materials I have ever turned. I had to sharpen my drill bit a few times to get the blanks drilled.

One pass across the blank would dull either the gouge or the skew. It finally took my favorite skew down to the point I couldn't get an edge back on it with the hone. I finished it up with an older skew that has a really bad grind on it but seemed to work in this stuff.

As far as colors, there isn't much to see. It comes out a dark charcoal gray or dull black depending on your point of view. After I posted the pictures I did realize that I hadn't changed my camera settings from playing with a dark semi-reflective background the other day, so they are underexposed a bit.

The plating on the pen is Rhodium.

This was a custom job and the customer requested this blank. I'm not sorry to have done it, but anyone considering turning this should be aware of the challenges. I've also heard that this material can be hard on the respiratory system and that you should have extra good breathing protection when turning and finishing it.

Top Bottom