From hardwood floor to pens!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hey guys,

Here is two pens I made out of some IPE Tobacco we sell at the store, I picked two really nice planks and here we go:

Clicky the thumbnail!

Charles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Great pens Charles,

I'm not familiar with that wood nor it looks that they are both from the same species but, the bottom pen looks so much like my Stone Acacia#47 cut straight grain, on the timbers list...!:eek::biggrin: (pics attached...)

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_1081_(1).jpg
    100_1081_(1).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 100_1082_(1).jpg
    100_1082_(1).jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 115

phillywood

Hey guys,

Here is two pens I made out of some IPE Tobacco we sell at the store, I picked two really nice planks and here we go:

Clicky the thumbnail!
Charles those are some very nice pens you made, but I am not sure if I can understand what IPE Tobaco woods are. Can you explain, please? And how come they are not same pattern?

Rick P

Great pens Charles,

I'm not familiar with that wood nor it looks that they are both from the same species but, the bottom pen looks so much like my Stone Acacia#47 cut straight grain, on the timbers list...!:eek::biggrin: (pics attached...)

Cheers
George

Ipe or Brazilian walnut is incredibly hard, dense and very bad news for people who are sensitive to it! It is tough on anyone's lungs and good respiratory precautions are a must! It is incredibly pest and weather resistant and used mostly on high end decks. I use it in bowyering a lot, the color and grain vereys more than any wood I have ever seen, it runs from incredibly strait and uniform to heavily figured. From green and rusty brown to almost blue. it can be a bit brittle and works best with the grain. Ipe preforms better in compression AND tension than any other wood I have used. Its specific gravity is well above one making it one of the few woods that does not float. Not so good for boats but it makes a screaming fast, very forgiving long bow!

Good looking pens! They could not have been easy to turn.

CharlesH

Rick P said:
Ipe or Brazilian walnut is incredibly hard, dense and very bad news for people who are sensitive to it! It is tough on anyone's lungs and good respiratory precautions are a must! It is incredibly pest and weather resistant and used mostly on high end decks. I use it in bowyering a lot, the color and grain vereys more than any wood I have ever seen, it runs from incredibly strait and uniform to heavily figured. From green and rusty brown to almost blue. it can be a bit brittle and works best with the grain. Ipe preforms better in compression AND tension than any other wood I have used. Its specific gravity is well above one making it one of the few woods that does not float. Not so good for boats but it makes a screaming fast, very forgiving long bow!

Good looking pens! They could not have been easy to turn.

Went really easily with carbide tools, turns like butter! Now I wanna see a bow made of IPE!!! ;)

Charles

Sent from my iTouch.

Rick P

Ocrfyst Raw hide backed Ipe. 45# at 28" made for a young hunter in Homer Alaska. Ooops got pics of two Ipe bows instead of just the one. The one I am drawing is Orcfyst and it has a purple heart handle. The other was my first lefty.........so I geuss you get two Ipe bows for the price of one.

Attachments

• 3278383666_1483da6d1e_z.jpg
    3278383666_1483da6d1e_z.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 3888635379_34bbae29c6_z.jpg
    3888635379_34bbae29c6_z.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 3888651279_f1ccf72101_z.jpg
    3888651279_f1ccf72101_z.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

CharlesH

Rick P said:
Ocrfyst Raw hide backed Ipe. 45# at 28" made for a young hunter in Homer Alaska. Ooops got pics of two Ipe bows instead of just the one. The one I am drawing is Orcfyst and it has a purple heart handle. The other was my first lefty.........so I geuss you get two Ipe bows for the price of one.

AMAZING!!! :)

C

Sent from my iTouch.

Top Bottom