Hard to beat a Euro, unless you mean the currency

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Travis Fry

Travis Fry

Just finished this one last night. Several firsts for me. First Euro, first 7mm pen, first time using Rhino plastic, first tenon, first pen with my wife's participation. She wants to learn to do this, and I'm thrilled to share another common activity with her (until we have to fight over the lathe, but that hasn't happened yet). Let me know what y'all think. Blank is Marinara Sauce Rhino plastic, chrome components from Beartoothwoods.

So, reflections:

-I don't think that Rhino plastic turns any differently than any other acrylic, except that it might be more prone to chipping if you get agressive with your chisel. No worries there.

-I can't do a 2 barrel Euro with my mandrel. It isn't long enough, and I ended up with the tailstock ended piece out of round. One at a time from now on.

-I can't wait for my drive center to arrive so I can TBC. Makes more sense to me.

marinara-euro.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turncrazy43

Nice looking pen. If you like the style but not the tenon, try the PSI Designer pen. Same Euro design but without the need to cut the tenon.

toddlajoie

Looks fantastic!!!

The euro quickly became my favorite smaller pen style when I started turning, and it is still there years later. Slightly larger than the fatter slim styles (trimlines, etc) but with much more style and a very nice hardware set. The longer lower barrel really clicks with me, and I started doing the same thing when I make modified slims, using the extended lower barrel.

I find TBC on 7mm pens to be a bit difficult without the TBC bushings for them, as the turning gets very small near the ends of the blank, so i would suggest you look into getting a set of 7mm TBC bushings.

Your pen looks great, and I hope you go on to make many more Euro's!!!

Crashmph

The Euro style pen is a simple style that looks nice. I just hate turning that tenon. The tenon-less Euros are much better.

Travis Fry

The Euro style pen is a simple style that looks nice. I just hate turning that tenon. The tenon-less Euros are much better.

This is an honest question, so please take it as such: what's so bad about the tenon?

I set my calipers to the length the directions said to make it and scribed a light line. I then reset my calipers to the diameter the directions said to make it and used my parting tool to turn it down to size. I had to press fit the ring on, since the inside diameter of the ring was a hair smaller than the inside diameter bushing I used as a guide, but I saw that as a good thing.

Maybe I got lucky?

Dan Masshardt

I like the quality and the end result of the ones with the tenon when done right.

However it is a bit of a pain to turn the tenon.

And I don't like the 7mm inks nor the transmission style that much.

Your own looks great Travis. Nice job.

Travis Fry

I like the quality and the end result of the ones with the tenon when done right.

And I don't like the 7mm inks nor the transmission style that much.

I agree, especially about the inks. I spent a lot of time looking for alternatives with a Parker refill, but I didn't like the look of them as much and decided that I could deal with poorer ink options if it meant better aesthetics.

Re: the transmission, I don't have enough experience with them to judge, but so far it seems ok. What is it you don't like? This is all new to me.

eranox

Looks like a win to me. I really like the Rhino plastics; I think they're my favorite acrylics. Ernie at BTW is a pleasure to deal with, too. He sent me my first Rhino as a freebie, and I've been hooked ever since. Great looking pen!

Top Bottom