Happy Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wolftat

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
This 360 herringbone is made with 5 different colored stabilized wood. The kit is your basic ti. gold Sierra. The finish is 10 coats of CA followed by micromesh and some Ren wax.

Attachments

• IMG_2894.jpg
    IMG_2894.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_2897.jpg
    IMG_2897.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 252
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

Is this the same process as described in the segmented pen tutorial for a 30-degree herringbone? Looks good.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Is there a tutorial around here somewhere, or can you give me the basics?
There is no tutorial on the 360 herringbone, but there are tutorials on regular herringbone blanks.

Wow that is really cool. How many hours do those segments normally take?

This one was a bit quicker than most because I used thicker pieces that normal, but the average time to make a full blank is about 8hrs for me. This one took maybe 3hrs to do.

workinforwood

It's awesome indeed. The colors are great. I could be wrong, but I don't think that's at all the same process as the 30 degree herringbone. That's a laser situation. I would be possible to do that with a tablesaw, but the effort would be so frustrating it would outweigh the gain. And then the cost too, that would be crazy..you would need completely dyed woods to pull that off. I put my money on laser.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
It's awesome indeed. The colors are great. I could be wrong, but I don't think that's at all the same process as the 30 degree herringbone. That's a laser situation. I would be possible to do that with a tablesaw, but the effort would be so frustrating it would outweigh the gain. And then the cost too, that would be crazy..you would need completely dyed woods to pull that off. I put my money on laser.
Jeff, I'm not really sure what your saying here. I have to admit that I'm not sure of what a 30 degree herringbone is, but I do all my work on my bandsaw. The laser is coming, I just have to order it(and something about a boatload of money too). :)

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Jeff, I'm not really sure what your saying here. I have to admit that I'm not sure of what a 30 degree herringbone is, but I do all my work on my bandsaw. The laser is coming, I just have to order it(and something about a boatload of money too). :)
I just checked out the 30 degree herringbone and it is the same basic idea, but this one goes just a little bit further, it doesn't have the same effect. I don;t think you need a laser to do any of these.

workinforwood

yea...I was just staring at it for a few minutes and reading what you said. Pretty sure I see the pre-spun blank. But it is quite cost prohibitive..you can't argue that! You built a square rope. Thank god your name isn't Carradine! lol.

jkeithrussell

I can't tell for sure from looking at the pics. The 30-degree herringbone is basically 2 strips of pieces glued up and squared with a 30-degree angle where the pieces meet. There are basically 3 pieces in a repeating pattern (2 strips wide). The 360 looks like a 5 piece pattern which would require the blank to be doubled up somehow 4 strips wide. Puzzling. I looked at some previous posts on the 360 herringbone and it seems to be a right of passage that you figure it out for yourself.

Top Bottom