Happy memories roadmap pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ossaguy

ossaguy

I thought it would be cool to make some roadmap pens.This is my first one,kindof an experiment.

For this one,I picked the map of the route we would drive up north to Moose Lake,Minnesota almost every weekend to visit with relatives,hunt,fish,ride motorcycles,and just have fun.

The small towns and country on this map are all really pretty scenery.Looking at it reminds me of all those fun times growing up.

I'll keep them close to my heart,when it's in my shirt pocket.

I did this the same as a decoupage stamp pen,with ca.

So now I want to do some of our favorite vacation trips.I just love looking at maps,I can get lost for hours studying them.It's fun to try to imagine what all the places are like!

Thanks for lookin'!
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_7516.JPG
    IMG_7516.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_7539.JPG
    IMG_7539.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_7540.JPG
    IMG_7540.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_7541.JPG
    IMG_7541.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_7538.JPG
    IMG_7538.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

It's a Zen rollerball pen in chrome.These have the neat magnetic cap.

It's my favorite kit for pens like this because there's no clip to get in the way.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

ossaguy

favor please, odd request but would you mind showing the seam side where you glued them together. And you are gluing up on a blank of wood thats been turned? Would you mind giving us newbies more insight of start to finish please... thanks

Hi William,

The 4th picture shows the seam a little.I just had it overlap by just a little bit.I lucked out because in that area,there is not a lot going on,so it blended in ok.

I did it the same as a decoupage stamp pen.

I used up boring piece of wood,and made the pen like normal,only I made it about .035" undersized.Then a quick ca finish to seal it,then I spray paint it with satin white Krylon Fusion paint.Then use Mod Podge to glue the map on,then 2 sealing coats of Mod Modge over it to seal.I wait a day or two to cure,then coat with ca.

I found that using the foam wedge-shape cosmetic applicators from Target work great.With the lathe running slower than when you use paper towels,since most of it goes onto the blank than getting soaked up by the paper towel.I do three pretty heavy applications wiped side-to-side,then accelerator,then repeat I build it up about .010-.015'' over,then I use a freshly-sharpened skew like a scraper to take it back down to size,eliminating any bumps.

If you save the foams,you can use the other side.It gets curled by the ca,so the curl really fits the pen blank nice.The foams take some practice to get used to,but I'm sold on that method now.

I'm doing it TBC,I think it would be hard to do it on a mandrel.

Then I just finish as normal.I sure like using that Dr.Kirk's Micro-Magic that CSUSA sells,that really speeds up the final finishing.

If you haven't watched the video on You Tube that PSI made,that's how I got started.Just do a search on YouTube, "Stamp Pen" and it will come up pretty quickly.

I hope some of this info is helpful.I'm sure there's better ways of doing it,but it's just the way I do it.

Take care,
Steve

Last edited:

Marko50

Awesome pen Steve! I do aviation navigation maps to sell to the flight crew members I fly with and they are a major hit!

Just my .02$ worth. I just glue the map segment directly to the tube with CA, taking care not to get air between the map segment. I let that gas-off for a couple of days before I seal it with Mod-Podge. Then I let that gas-off for a couple more days before I cast it using Alumilite and a pressure pot. I then let that fully cure for a good 12 hours before de-molding it and turning it. I haven't had any problems using this method:)

There are so many things you can do to customized this type of "tube in" casting for a customer. They sale themselves!

Last edited:

ossaguy

Hi Marko,

I was inspired by the aviation map pen you posted earlier,it looked so great that I wanted to do one like it with vacation maps,that's how I thought of this one.

I don't think the ca would work well for me,since it seems I'm always having to lift it back off,then fine adjust it..then sometimes even more to get it just right.I wish I
could cast it like you do,but I don't have the place to do it,or the equipment let alone the skill & knowledge,That's why I have to send them out when I need a round profile one,like a cigar pen.

Thanks again for the inspiration,and the tips here!

Take care,
Steve

ossaguy

Really like your pens and the idea. Where did you get the map from? Looks like it had to be shrunk alittle?

Hi Jeff,

This was just a AAA map from our last trip back home.I didn't shrink it down.I like how the background on this map is so bright.

So now I have a template made that I can use on other maps to see what would look good.

Thanks,
Steve

Top Bottom