Happy to have my lathe back!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

Man am I happy it wasn't a difficult fix to get my lathe running again! Finished this one up earlier today. I bought some of the Le Roi kits from smitty and wanted to make one to try out. This is one of the Gold Ti/Blk Ti kits. I really like the finial twist! So much nicer than the sierras that come apart everytime you activate the tranny. The blank is one of mine and I think it goes well with the gold accents of the components. Finish is MM to 12000 and PlastX. Thanks for looking and for any comments/critiques made.

100_2747593x700.jpg
100_2751622x700.jpg
100_2754638x700.jpg

Closeups!:

100_2758700x622-1.jpg
100_2759700x651.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BradG

Brooks.. These blanks you are making are brilliant. so much so i am going to have to research how its done. Just fantastic

DRAT

Very nice looking pen. I'd be lost without my lathe!!!

Question: Do you know where I can find some blanks that resemble U of Tenn colors? I've been asked to craft a few pens as a donation for a scholarship raffle. Thanks much.

DrAT

Brooks803

Question: Do you know where I can find some blanks that resemble U of Tenn colors? I've been asked to craft a few pens as a donation for a scholarship raffle. Thanks much.

DrAT

Yea I do know...me! Lol I do alot of color matching blanks and 95% of those are school/sports teams. Ill PM you the details when I get home.

jbswearingen

Wow. I love how the color looks like it's "inside" the pen. I'm not sure how to explain what I see...almost like you're looking through really thick, clear glass, and the color is even deeper inside. I like it.

Brooks803

Wow. I love how the color looks like it's "inside" the pen. I'm not sure how to explain what I see...almost like you're looking through really thick, clear glass, and the color is even deeper inside. I like it.

Thanks! That's actually exactly what you're seeing. I forgot to show the raw blank bc it would have shown how I created that depth. The blank is very translucent so I reverse painted it black and that helps create that depth like your looking into a deep body of water.

edicehouse

I have come to expect something awesome when it comes to your pens/blanks. So I am devising a Brook's scale.
2. Unbelievably Awesome
4. If it was medecine could cure any disease
6. I think you counted to infinity (twice) while making that
8. Could not possibly be made by a human
10. God Almighty personally made that

jbswearingen

Thanks! That's actually exactly what you're seeing. I forgot to show the raw blank bc it would have shown how I created that depth. The blank is very translucent so I reverse painted it black and that helps create that depth like your looking into a deep body of water.

I have absolutely no clue what this means (I've never cast a blank or turned anything other than wood), but it sounds good!

:biggrin:

edicehouse

I have absolutely no clue what this means (I've never cast a blank or turned anything other than wood), but it sounds good!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with Bull S..t. That was one of my grandfathers moto's.

MarkD

Yet another awesome blank/pen from Johnathon.
They can't possibly be as nice as they look in his pictures!
He must be a PhotoShop master :biggrin:!

Just kidding of course!!!

PaulDoug

Certainly a beautiful blank and well turned pen. I'm one, though, that just does not care for all the black plastic on these kits. I think it makes them look cheap. Just my opinion and not worth a cent. I wonder how hard it would be to replace the black plastic with blank material.

Brooks803

I have come to expect something awesome when it comes to your pens/blanks. So I am devising a Brook's scale.
2. Unbelievably Awesome
4. If it was medecine could cure any disease
6. I think you counted to infinity (twice) while making that
8. Could not possibly be made by a human
10. God Almighty personally made that

LOL...if we take this any further I might acutally develop an ego :eek::biggrin:

lol...it just means it looks (and is) in 3D.

Certainly a beautiful blank and well turned pen. I'm one, though, that just does not care for all the black plastic on these kits. I think it makes them look cheap. Just my opinion and not worth a cent. I wonder how hard it would be to replace the black plastic with blank material.

Thanks Doug but there's no plastic on this one. The darker area is Black Titanium. I don't care for the black plastic either, I actually haven't made any of the sierra style kits for over a year until now bc of that very reason.

DrAT

Yea I do know...me! Lol I do alot of color matching blanks and 95% of those are school/sports teams. Ill PM you the details when I get home.

Maybe I should start keeping those in stock and re-sell :wink: Seriously, Jonathan has done some for me and they are EXCELLENT!

Brooks803

Hey Johnathan. I know why your lathe quit working... you need to turn some WOOD SOMETIME! Nice pen glad you are back in action.

Lol....it died bc I turned wood Russell! I was helping another member here by turning some wood pens for them and it died while doing my CA finish...and no I didn't gunk up the headstock with CA :eek: :biggrin:

That wood stuff is just bad for you lathe...or atleast mine anyhow :rolleyes:

Thanks for the laugh Russell, I needed one this morning!

Top Bottom