Happy Accident?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sandsini

Sandsini

This pen started out to be something special that I have been considering for a while. I wanted to do something like a Urushi pen but without the expensive and dangerous lacquers and time consuming techniques. I also wanted to use a western palate of colors. So I turned an ebonite pen, painted it with acrylic paints and applied a very glossy CA finish on it. I was very happy with the results, the pen had a weathered, ancient look complimented by a wonderful shine. I was a happy penturner.

Then when working the cabochons into the pen, I discovered that I had knocked a big flake of finish off of the pen. In fact, I soon found that the finish just peeled off like ancient wallpaper. I was devastated as I had two days in the painting and weathering and glossing of that finish. So I took a deep breath, removed the finish, re-sanded and polished the pen that you see here.

I love how it turned out, but I wonder what I did wrong with the failed finish. Did I use the wrong paint? Did I neglect to prepare the surface properly? If you have any ideas, I would love to hear them, because I'm not giving up on this one.

Attachments

• DSC01458.jpg
    DSC01458.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC01450.jpg
    DSC01450.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC01442.jpg
    DSC01442.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 255
  • DSC01448.jpg
    DSC01448.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 220
  • DSC01438.jpg
    DSC01438.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 231
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sandsini

It would have been nice to see with the paint on!

BTW, this and your other kitless pens from vintage materials are stunning.

Thank you very much! When I can figure out how to make the paint stick, I'll post it here...

BTW, I had success with the same paint and CA finish on wood, so I was surprised when it failed on the Ebonite.

Curly

If you sanded the Ebonite to a fine degree, the surface may have been too smooth for the paint to key into. What grit did you sand the barrel and cap to?

magpens

Whatever happened ..... you have one LOVELY pen in this one, Eric !!
You have a fantastic knack to make the simple BEAUTIFUL !!

Sandsini

If you sanded the Ebonite to a fine degree, the surface may have been too smooth for the paint to key into. What grit did you sand the barrel and cap to?

I sanded to 600 before I painted. I think I may need paint or a base coat that will bite into the ebonite more than the acrylic does.

Top Bottom