Handmade Watercolor Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

I've made my own paints and pastels for a long time, and figured it was time to make a fresh new set of very saturated watercolors for pen making.

I've switched from the "old school" gum Arabic/distilled water + ox gall to my preferred Schmincke brand Aquarell-Bindemittel watercolor medium, which handles a lot of pigment.

The pigments (some of which are 50 years old and still going strong) are ground into the Bindemittel medium with a glass muller on 1/4" plate glass or a palette knife on parchment paper for the finer-grained pigments - then loaded into the plastic wells in the palette box. I added a bit of Jacquard mica to some of the colors.

The brass tubes are acetone-washed, 150 grit-sanded, then primed with 2 coats of Daniel Smith Pearlescent Watercolor Ground - 2 days drying between coats.

Paints are applied with dry brush and/or wet-in-wet watercolor techniques.

The painted tubes are then airbrushed with a light coat of Createx Clear Gloss top coat, dried x 48 hours; then hand brushed with Judikins Diamond Glaze.

Glazed tubes are dried x 48 hours, then cast tube-in with Douglas and Sturgess Clear Casting PR with some added flakes (at 50psi); then turned and finished as usual.

This set of pens was made at the request of a local watercolorist friend:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Happy Sunday to all - Bob

Attachments

• WatercolorPaintmaking,markison,2017,800px.jpg
    WatercolorPaintmaking,markison,2017,800px.jpg
    531.7 KB · Views: 455
  • HandmadeWatercolorPens,markison,2017,800px.jpg
    HandmadeWatercolorPens,markison,2017,800px.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

I have read all of your threads because the look of the pens really intrigue me. The pens remind of a glass worker I used to know years ago. He would save the little glass chips from his projects and every so often melt them into spectacular pendants. But where his colors melted together, yours look as if the have melded together.

magpens

Thanks, Bob, for this informative thread .... the resulting pens are very beautiful !!!

Gosh, you must live in a house that is 10 acres in floor area ... to support your multitude of hobbies and other activities (including music) !! .

Bob in SF

Sincere thanks for views/likes and kind comments!!

Mal said:
"Gosh, you must live in a house that is 10 acres in floor area"

We live humbly in a small house packed with residuals from our 3 great daughters. My shop is in the garage, but I work outside and outside of home much of the time.

I often barter ideas and helping hands for studio time and space around the Bay Area - this affords countless acres of friendship and creative collaboration.

Watercolors are often thought of as weak and pallid - but the simple method above really amplifies the color impact.

Happy Monday to all - treasure the creative quest - that's how we all got here - Bob

Top Bottom