Handmade Denim Micarta

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from USAFVET98

USAFVET98

I wanted to try out new materials so I decided to try and make my own micarta. I took an old pair of Polo jeans, and made a block of denim micarta. I had no idea how it was going to come out as I have never seen it done before. The finished product I thought came out pretty nice. I would like the feedback and opinions of others who turn pens as well. I have been turning pens for about 3 months, and I am always trying new things. I dont want to make the same old boring pens, I want them to stand out.
denim.jpg

denimtop.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Excellent execution, Brian!

But not a new idea, sorry. Many do this with the denim being wrapped on the tube, Some time ago (at the old site), someone posted a tutorial on doing it "layered" as you have done, I believe.

If anyone does this with CA, it smokes a lot, use good ventilation. Turning also requires a little CA repair from time to time. Brian's result is exceptionally good!

CaptG

That is one nice looking pen. Even if the process was covered on the old site, with your join date you could not have seen it. Way to be creative. Keep it up. There has been more than one idea I brought to reality, only to find it was already done. But we will keep on trying.

bitshird

I like it a lot, for only turning pens for about 3 months, I think you're doing real good, it looks like your turning is on the mark, and the finish looks great.

USAFVET98

New to me.

Excellent execution, Brian!

But not a new idea, sorry. Many do this with the denim being wrapped on the tube, Some time ago (at the old site), someone posted a tutorial on doing it "layered" as you have done, I believe.

If anyone does this with CA, it smokes a lot, use good ventilation. Turning also requires a little CA repair from time to time. Brian's result is exceptionally good!

Im sorry, I meant I like trying materials that are new to me. I googled it and found a guy on line who did one and I wanted to try it, so I got the resin and started cutting.

Top Bottom