Hancock - disappointed with kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Draken

Draken

Been a while since I made a pen, so I tried the Hancock fountain pen kit. The pen turned out ok but I'm not impressed with the kit. It was missing the converter, the spare one I used doesnt seem very secure, and when capped the body isn't in line with the cap. Oh well, it was intended to be my pen anyhow. Taz eucalyptus burl with blue glitter in the natural voids.

Attachments

• 20140523_160146.jpg
    20140523_160146.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 428
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Whaler

I am with Mike on this one. I have done a bunch of the Hancoks with no issues both it and the Desire are my favorite kits.
What did you mean by "the body isn't in line with the cap"? If you are talking about the grain not matching that is not the fault of the kit.

Draken

I have made gobs of these pens and not had any issues with them. It wasn't missing the converter it doesn't come with one. I keep them on hand for just that reason. Of course I have made both the Hancock and the Desire as they both come from Constant at lazerlinez.

Bought the kit from WoodCraft, their instruction sheet shows a converter as one of the parts of the kit, so I'd think it should have been included.

Draken

I am with Mike on this one. I have done a bunch of the Hancoks with no issues both it and the Desire are my favorite kits.
What did you mean by "the body isn't in line with the cap"? If you are talking about the grain not matching that is not the fault of the kit.

Here's an exaggeration, assume the first line is the cap, second is the body.

__ Normal Pen
_/ This pen (again an extreme exaggeration, limited by ASCII).

I need to put a square to each part to see if something isn't sitting right in the tubes. By eye it looks okay, but doesn't take much to throw things off.

Last edited:

seamus7227

James, is it possible that when the components were pressed together, that maybe the barrels were uneven on the ends, causing the components to be out of alignment?

I have to admit I have never looked at the directions for this pen. I have not gotten any converters with them though. It would be nice if they had them but I know Constant is doing everything he can do to keep the price down to compete with foreign hardware. He just finished a very nice sale and was more than generous to us here on IAP... Thanks Constant.

At any rate your pen looks great in the picture...

Mike

Draken

James, is it possible that when the components were pressed together, that maybe the barrels were uneven on the ends, causing the components to be out of alignment?

That or there could be gunk in the tube causing it to not sit squarely. I'll have to put a square on it and see, just haven't had the time yet.

Thank you everyone for the nice comments on the pen. I'm definitely my own worst critic.

Top Bottom