Half of a Corn Cob (Critiques Wanted)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cole Roberts

Cole Roberts

I am making a Junior Gent corn cob pen, today I finished the cap half and would like some critiques before I finish the other half. This is my first corn cob pen and it took me a while to get the first half finished so I decided to wait to tomorrow to finish the other part. If you all see anything I can do better, (besides my photo taking) I would love to hear it before I start the other half in the morning.

Attachments

• DSCN2261.JPG
    DSCN2261.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 225
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Is that the cob I sent you in the prize package from the bash? Only thing I see is maybe a few "pits" where the CA dust is sealed under the finish and show as white specs.(might just be dust) appears to have one small chipout on the edge(ca should fill it if you put in back on the lathe and work with it a bit. Other than that it looks nicely turned.

Cole Roberts

Yes it is the blank you sent me, thank you for it. It is the first thing I have turned out of the box, my time has been so limited lately. Also, the chip out that you see, I do believe is a little bit more dust, just on the edge. Also, I totally forgot to take a picture of all the winnings you sent me and so I apologize for that.

Last edited:

bitshird

You've already done far better than I have with corn cobs, I'm 5 for 5 blowing them apart. I gave up but it looks like you're doing great, like Landon said just a small chipout on the edge, which most likely came when you took it off the bushing. Just a bit of CA and it'll be fine.

Cole Roberts

I appreciate all critiques, since it is the only corn cob blank I have I really don't want to screw it up. I might just try to cover what looks to be a chip out with the clip, because it also is dust under the finish, what techniques should I use to stop little dust spots in my finish.

Bellsy

Cole, it's too late to try this now, but the next time you decide to turn a cob pen may I suggest this. Once the cob is turned to nearly the finished diameter, sand it with some 100 grit sand paper. Then pick out the remaining kernels of corn, once this is done liberally apply a dark walnut stain or Ebony stain to the cob. Let it dry over night and the following day fill the voids back up with the swarf that you removed from the cob when you first turned it by mixing it with thick CA. Turn the cob back down again and repeat the filling with swarf as some voids will still be present. Once the cob is full turn it to the final size, finish it off as you normally would.

The stain will outline the kernel voids and give it an entirely unique appearance. One of the last cob pens I turned (Cigar) had what appeared to be tiny horses on it....so my daughter says anyway.

Dave

Cornb.jpg

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Cole, it's too late to try this now, but the next time you decide to turn a cob pen may I suggest this. Once the cob is turned to nearly the finished diameter, sand it with some 100 grit sand paper. Then pick out the remaining kernels of corn, once this is done liberally apply a dark walnut stain or Ebony stain to the cob. Let it dry over night and the following day fill the voids back up with the swarf that you removed from the cob when you first turned it by mixing it with thick CA. Turn the cob back down again and repeat the filling with swarf as some voids will still be present. Once the cob is full turn it to the final size, finish it off as you normally would.

The stain will outline the kernel voids and give it an entirely unique appearance. One of the last cob pens I turned (Cigar) had what appeared to be tiny horses on it....so my daughter says anyway.

Dave
Interesting, not quite what I do but might give that a shot. Cole, a good CA "slurry" built up and let to cure to fill the voids, then turn smooth with a sharp skew and very little sanding is needed. After sanding give the now smooth cob a little wipe down with BLO, let the lathe run while rubbing a paper towel side to side to build a little heat to dry/cure the BLO. Dont apply so much pressure it gets HOT, just warm for a minute or so. After that apply a sealer coat of thin or med ca, then finish as you normally would. I've done a bundle of them, works for me, your results may vary. If you happen to "blow it up" as Ken worded it, PM me your address and I'll send you another one.

kevrob

Wow, that corn cob pen with the stain looks great! I too tried my first corn cob this weekend. It was turning so nicely, then it blew. I also had a heck of a time drilling the hole directly in the center, even with my pen vice. But I always have a heck of a time hitting dead center with my drill on any material, no matter how many times I line it up. Gotta order more cobs now, if I don't figure it out soon, my corn cob trials might get a little expensive! Anyone have a suggestion for a good place to get cheap stabilized cobs?

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Wow, that corn cob pen with the stain looks great! I too tried my first corn cob this weekend. It was turning so nicely, then it blew. I also had a heck of a time drilling the hole directly in the center, even with my pen vice. But I always have a heck of a time hitting dead center with my drill on any material, no matter how many times I line it up. Gotta order more cobs now, if I don't figure it out soon, my corn cob trials might get a little expensive! Anyone have a suggestion for a good place to get cheap stabilized cobs?
While this is easier, they need not be stabilized prior to use.

Bellsy

While this is easier, they need not be stabilized prior to use.

I agree totally. I have never stabilized a single cob of corn. I also do not add the CA glue until the cob is turned down to it's nearly finished size. The CA glue is added when I begin the filling process.

Dave

Top Bottom