Had to try it - here is how it went.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Halling51

Halling51

attachment.jpg

Hi
Beeing far from the real places where there is so many pen turners - I just had to try it. How did it go? That's up to you to tell me. This is my first inlay ever.
I am living in Norway - normally I am just a lurker. This time I want to show what I did yesterday as the first try ever.
Made of plum tree and birch as inlay. The restis ?? I really don't know but I got the pieces from a friend of mine from his garden. Here where I live is none of these trees growing. Just too cold.
I do hope next month when I am in USA I can find something to send back home.
Maybe someone in Houston area or Minneapolis would like to spend a couple of hours with me for a chat?
attachment.jpg

Steinar from NORWAY
post@vissebraaten.no

Attachments

• 20090421_Pen_0007.jpg
    20090421_Pen_0007.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 782
  • 20090421_Pen_0047.jpg
    20090421_Pen_0047.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 777
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Steinar,

Your inlay work looks fine to me. I would love to meet you and learn something about Norway, but unfortunately I live far from where you plan to visit. I would imagine someone close to Houston or Minneapolis will speak up soon.

Welcome to posting at the site. I look forward to more photographs of your work.

Stick Rounder

Steinar,

I am close to Houston down here in San Antonio. If you make it down this far I would love to spend some time talking about pen making. I don't want to obligate anyone else here in San Antonio, but I am sure there are a couple of other pen turners that we could talk to. Let me know.

Halling51

Hi all of you.

As to be my first tray I am satisfied too. Just consider - I have been working with wood all my life as a none expert. But my father had a wood factory and I did work there for 2 years.
I know very much basic wood work - but all things have to be the first time. As partly retired I had to find me some smaller things to do and I have been into pens for some times. Only straight forward things. This inlay stuff I have never looked at as I did not have some equipment for it.
The last years I have got me some more stuff and specially since last year I have been looking over the Internet a lot. And I do envy most of you getting all the nice wood. I have tried here to get some. But I have to by a lot if I want some!!
I have tried around but there is no place to find that could support me with small pieces of exotic wood. I am not complaining for this but where to look that I can buy for a fair price. That's what I look for when I am on my holiday too.

I am working now with a company in DE that I can send stuff to and then they can ship it to me together with other stuff. Hope that will be ok soon.

Hope to be posting more later as I want to make more of this and other things. I do have a site on Lumberjocks to for the ones want to look.

http://lumberjocks.com/Halling51

My home site :
http://vissebraaten.no

I do have most of the things on Lumberjocks and I have posted some pictures of some work and also some from my woorkshop.

Hope you like them and I will be looking forward to see more along the route while I am in the USA.

Sincerrely
Steinar from NORWAY

Billman

Snowmass Village & Grand Junction, Colorado
Steinar, too bad I don't live in the Minneapolis area anymore, or I'd come chat with you.

I don't know how much time you are spending in Minneapolis, but if it is more than just a layover between flights there are several stores in the area that you can get wood from. I personally know that there is a Woodcraft Store no more than 20 minutes from the airport (non-rush hour) that has plenty of wood for pen making.

Halling51

Steinar, too bad I don't live in the Minneapolis area anymore, or I'd come chat with you.

I don't know how much time you are spending in Minneapolis, but if it is more than just a layover between flights there are several stores in the area that you can get wood from. I personally know that there is a Woodcraft Store no more than 20 minutes from the airport (non-rush hour) that has plenty of wood for pen making.

I have asked the family to look for that. I will stay for several days but the time is limited you know. I know of a shop in Bloomington I want to got to - Incra tools!

Nothing is impossible - just the impossible takes more time!

Steinar.

Billman

Snowmass Village & Grand Junction, Colorado
I have asked the family to look for that. I will stay for several days but the time is limited you know. I know of a shop in Bloomington I want to got to - Incra tools!
The Woodcraft Supply store that I speak of is in Bloomington as well, on Lyndale Avenue. It also looks as though they are a Incra distributor.

*Edit* Looking closer at Incra Tools web site, they don't list a store in Bloomington, MN. They do list Woodcraft Supply as being a seller of their tools in Bloomington, MN though. I think I was sending you someplace you already planned on going... Go figure, small world. They also list Rockler as their seller too, I know Rockler has a store around there too, although I haven't been to any of them in MN. */edit*

Enjoy your trip.

Last edited:

Halling51

Hi again

Thanks a lot for all the comments. I have been working on a new jig for this today and later I'll make some pictures of it.

Here is another on I made today. Seems to get how to do now and the inlay fits a lot better. I wonder what kind of glue you use out there. My best results is after using SuperEpoxy!

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

That is my second pen.

Some of you ask about my route.

Houston TX, Manchester TN, Rivesville WV then out west - up to Fargo and then Minneapolis area. From 5th of june till 4th of July. Smokey Mountains is also on my schedule.

All the best.
Steinar from Norway

Attachments

• 20090425_Pen_0051.jpg
    20090425_Pen_0051.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 20090425_Pen_0037.jpg
    20090425_Pen_0037.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 112
Top Bottom