Had to share this one

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carl Fisher

Carl Fisher

I just had to share this one since it's the first of our products that have been shot by a pro photographer. This is one of our bourbon barrel pens.

Attachments

• Whisky_Pen.jpg
    Whisky_Pen.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 559
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

What a great looking pen, so unique with the markings of blank.

Just looking at it I am feeling a "Little Tipsey".
Don't think I would be foolish enough to put in in my mouth.

I love the old props, the weathered timber, and the ancient well worked anvil. Just what you could expect to see around refurbishing old Kegs.

Terrific work Carl.

Brian

Carl Fisher

Great looking pen and picture. May I ask what finish you used on the pen?

It's a combination of tru-oil and doctor's woodshop finishes. We didn't want the plastic look or feel of a CA finish and decided a matte/natural finish was a much better choice. I actually knock down the gloss of the doctor's woodshop.

It's the same finish I'm using on the shaving sets and bottle stoppers out of the same wood. It's part of a full lineup for one of my resellers who provides me with all the bourbon barrel wood.

Last edited:

joefrog

Nice! I do love the Doctor finish. I use it myself.

When I'm making the bourbon pens, I sometimes spot a section with some good "curl" in it. These get set aside for individual sales, not for filling an order of several.

Carl Fisher

It's actually a shame I have to waste as much of the staves as I do. Between the curve of the wood and the fact that I'm cutting on about a 30-degree bias, I end up with a bunch of waste. Straight cut grain just isn't attractive to me. The bias cut gives you the nice white oak rays and a good cross section to char and bring the grain back into play.

He told me take the waste, shred it up and put it in the BBQ next time I'm cooking. Never thought of that but it's an awesome idea.

ALA

Great looking pen and picture. May I ask what finish you used on the pen?

It's a combination of tru-oil and doctor's woodshop finishes. We didn't want the plastic look or feel of a CA finish and decided a matte/natural finish was a much better choice. I actually knock down the gloss of the doctor's woodshop.

It's the same finish I'm using on the shaving sets and bottle stoppers out of the same wood. It's part of a full lineup for one of my resellers who provides me with all the bourbon barrel wood.

Thanks foe the reply. I'll have to give it a try.

Joe S.

How did he get the pen on there? It looks like it would fall off as soon as you took your hand away.

That's a great looking pen, and the pro pic is really cool!

That BBQ idea is great!

Top Bottom