Had a few moments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SDB777

SDB777

Grabbed a PurpleRain blank from the wife's stash and a Satin Baron Rollerball kit that was laying around....

Reverse painted the tube black using acrylic paint(think I need to find a faster drying paint....but wait for the paint to dry gave me a chance to do a few other things).

Here's the results!

Closed/Capped:
PurpleRainBaronRollerballCE001.jpg

Open/Uncapped:
PurpleRainBaronRollerballCE002.jpg

After I finished turning this pen, the wife wanted to see what it looked like, being that she was at work....well, let's just say it didn't last long. She took a look at it, and handed it to one of the other girls there....who promptly purchased it. And she didn't even flinch when she asked me how much....just started handing me money(I like those kind of sales)

Scott (thanks for looking) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

Looks great Scott! I think black was the way to go. Whats fun is to try all different colors. I bet Red or Blue would have made some cool effect. A trick you can do to get the paint to set a bit faster is toss it in the toaster oven for about 10mins. I wouldn't go much higher than 100degress though. Since the blank is already cured you don't want to overheat it and make it more brittle.

SDB777

Toaster oven, I'll have to try that one....

DrSFart...when shooting pen photos through the fabric on a light tent(with no other light source) the finish will take on a somewhat 'satin' look. The PR is ultra shiny.

Reverse black is fun with the pearl translucent going on...was hoping for this effect actually.

Scott (wish it'd get a little warmer today) B

Drstrangefart

Toaster oven, I'll have to try that one....

DrSFart...when shooting pen photos through the fabric on a light tent(with no other light source) the finish will take on a somewhat 'satin' look. The PR is ultra shiny.

Reverse black is fun with the pearl translucent going on...was hoping for this effect actually.

That's it. I always look at the bright white line running down the length of the barrel. When it's not there I become frightened and alone....

BSea

Aren't you the same guy who told me he didn't want to do any painting???:wink: I guess "The Boss" made you do it.

That is a really nice blank. I'd never have guessed it would have looked that good when we were pouring it.

SDB777

I'd prefer not to paint, but I was afraid the purple and translucent mica stuff would take on some sort of wierd looking 'blah'....

Now you know why I like gold mica in a blank:biggrin:

Scott (she'll need to make more of these) B

drgoretex

A very cool closed-ender there!

And the colour (sorry - spelled that canuck style :biggrin:) was made to sell quickly. The few pens I have made in..well, feminine colours got snapped up so fast I thought I would lose fingers. Even my big box of blanks...I get my wife, my daughters and their friends pawing through them and claiming blanks before I have even thought of turning them. No rest for the weary...:tongue:

Ken

Top Bottom