Had another mind-blowing accident today.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

523772_389698444423560_1526071233_n.jpg

428415_389698464423558_497428505_n.jpg

382557_389698501090221_304653972_n.jpg

So, my friend Victor came over to the house to work on an art project that had been picking at his soul for the last 23 years. It didn't quite go as he's hoped, but I realized that he's accidentally created a LARGE slab of these pen blanks. This is some beautiful resin, and he's at least taking this pen home with him. I plan on trying to get a more pen blank friendly effect next time we try to cast like this, but I am astonished at how cool this stuff looks. I used chrome tubes. The brass color is the natural state of the resin we were using.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

On that "No CB" style, many will use a distinct size differential of the cap and body. That is one alternative that some will like. Ultimately it is a personal preference thing, and quality of workmanship is key. Your pen shows nice fit in that respect, and some really nice colors in the blank.
Steve

Drstrangefart

On that "No CB" style, many will use a distinct size differential of the cap and body. That is one alternative that some will like. Ultimately it is a personal preference thing, and quality of workmanship is key. Your pen shows nice fit in that respect, and some really nice colors in the blank.
Steve

I do that a lot. I use a bullet bushing for the top barrel and a Comfort bushing for the bottom barrel. I was EXHAUSTED by the time we got to turning this, and simplicity was the key to not screwing up. I'm slowly learning how to pick my battles.

Jjartwood

If you want to get some nice color hues in the pen and hide the tubes try back painting
the tube with pearlized paint,nice effect,turn your pen about 1/2 way and than remove the
center bushing and finish the turn,if your mandrel is true you will all but loose the center
line and have a nice sharp match (providing that is a desired option for you )
I have even gone as far as to drill a nice piece of scrap to slip in between the two barrel
for an accent.
cool blank though.

Drstrangefart

If you want to get some nice color hues in the pen and hide the tubes try back painting
the tube with pearlized paint,nice effect,turn your pen about 1/2 way and than remove the
center bushing and finish the turn,if your mandrel is true you will all but loose the center
line and have a nice sharp match (providing that is a desired option for you )
I have even gone as far as to drill a nice piece of scrap to slip in between the two barrel
for an accent.
cool blank though.

I've done the back painting a good bit. This one I expected to have more translucent color and less transparency in the natural resin colored areas. The chrome tubes were planned to let light get in and make the colors brighter without showing the tubes off like we have' here. I've made tons of custom centerbands, I just need to build a new jig to square them up properly. Now that I know a bit more about what's actually inside this slab I can accomodate accordingly.

Top Bottom