Gunmetal Slim in Midnight Racer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from phil

phil

Made this for my brother-in-law yesterday. He was there with me and I was able to shape it exactly the way he wanted it. i was a little leary at first, but after i got it all done, i gotta say its kinda a cool shape. It was deffinately testing my turning skill, was pretty hard to keep everything even, and the bead on the upper blank was something new to me. Turned it from start to finish with my 1" skew.

Gunmetal slimline in a Midnight Racer blank from Woodturningz. We left it clipless and im glad, i think the clip would have looked goofy on it. The last picture i did with a dark background turned out cool i think, so i tried it again. Really highlights the colors. Deffinately not professional quality, but then again im not a professional! :tongue: Same finish as always, 12,000 mm, and hut ultra-gloss. C and C more than welcome, thanks for looking!

Phil

Attachments

• IMG_0131.JPG
    IMG_0131.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0130.JPG
    IMG_0130.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 268
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

phil

I like it. Both the blank and the shape.

If you turned those coves with a 1-inch skew, you definitely have talent!

Thanks, is there another tool you're supposed to use to make coves? im still pretty green when it comes to turning techniques. only been making pens and turning since May.

Hey Phil,

Nice looking pen!
The shapes are quite interesting!
Not to everyones tatste but if your BIL wanted it, then it is perfect!:biggrin:

Next time you turn an acrylic blank, try painting the tubes with a contrasting color.
Or use a brass ager to blacken the tubes.
The top part of the pen you can see the brass shining through and the blank loses a bit of it's true colour.
I learnt that the hard way...

Otherwise keep up the good work!!

Andrew

phil

Hey Phil,

Next time you turn an acrylic blank, try painting the tubes with a contrasting color.
Or use a brass ager to blacken the tubes.
The top part of the pen you can see the brass shining through and the blank loses a bit of it's true colour.
I learnt that the hard way...

Yeah, i colored the bottom tube with a black sharpie, but forgot to do the upper one. yup, you live you learn.

Thanks for the complements!

ctubbs

That is a beautiful pen. Complete turned with a 1" skew. If you ever learn to use the rest of your tools, you will be something else. 1" skew, OOOOOF!
Charles

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
That's all I use is a 1" skew. The other day I tried one of those carbide tools and went back to the skew. I guess I'm too old to learn new tricks.:biggrin:

bensoelberg

Coves are generally turned with a gouge.

Why? I generally turn all my coves with a skew. In fact, most of the time I turn all my pens with a skew. But that is me.

Beautiful pen. Nice work.

The rounded profile of the gouge helps maintain a good cutting angle while turning coves. Using a skew to turn a cove is definitely possible, (as you've done an excellent job of showing) but is more difficult because the cut tends to be more of a scraping cut and less of a shearing cut. It is more difficult to keep the straight bevel of the skew rubbing along the concave surface of a cove.

Top Bottom