Gunmetal nuts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Buzzy

Buzzy

After my first attempt with hex steel nuts, I took up Curly's suggestion to use a gunmetal finish on another pen. I used Express Rust Blue so I had to boil the parts and I did 7 passes. I'm really happy with the look but it's hard to take a good picture of it.

I did a double tube pen hoping it would weigh a quarter pound (113g) but it's "only" 86g. It's still a nice weight though :)

Attachments

• IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 375
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

I'm very glad the finish worked for you. It looks good.

If I might make another suggestion. Instead of using nuts why not get a bolt and cut it to length and drill it out. Then you have less to turn down and already being round won't thump and pound since there aren't 6 corners to remove. If you can dril a nut you can drill a bolt too.

Buzzy

I'm very glad the finish worked for you. It looks good.

If I might make another suggestion. Instead of using nuts why not get a bolt and cut it to length and drill it out. Then you have less to turn down and already being round won't thump and pound since there aren't 6 corners to remove. If you can dril a nut you can drill a bolt too.

I think it would be harder to drill a hole in a bolt than to enlarge the existing one in a nut. Actually it's not that bad to have to remove the corners so I don't think it's worth the effort.

More4dan

I've drilled a bolt once to make a pen. Only took an hour or two and a couple resharpenings of the drill bit. So much work I made the next one out of aluminum and turned it to look like a bolt.
5b6832d87babff99799bc9c1b8880526.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom