Guitar Neck v3.0

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hewunch

hewunch

Ok, here is yet another variation in the guitar neck pen. Ebony fretboard, MOP dots, Bound fretboard, maple neck with walnut stripe on a Zen kit. Comments welcome.

guitarstretch.jpg

guitarstretchopen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

Wow....completely awesome. Did you come up with this idea? It's the first I've ever seen a fretboard pen. I have a good friend of mine who's a classical guitarist and he'd love something like this....I just don't want to go stealing ideas without asking:wink:

hewunch

Wow....completely awesome. Did you come up with this idea? It's the first I've ever seen a fretboard pen. I have a good friend of mine who's a classical guitarist and he'd love something like this....I just don't want to go stealing ideas without asking:wink:

I did come up with the idea on my own only to find out that someone had done one before. The only one I saw after having made a couple is one where the person used veneer for the frets and maple plugs for the dots so really very different and I think the frets went all the way around. So the detail is definitely different. This is my first on a Zen all the rest have been on Jr. Gents.

Skye

Does the MOP show more colors than the photo? If not, you may just want to consider using the aluminum rods. Seems like they're probably a good bit of work.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Was it difficult in keeping different kinds of dust off of each other - such as ebony off of the maple; or silver off of ebony or maple, etc?

hewunch

Does the MOP show more colors than the photo? If not, you may just want to consider using the aluminum rods. Seems like they're probably a good bit of work.

Yes it does, much more. Ablone is even nicer.

Was it difficult in keeping different kinds of dust off of each other - such as ebony off of the maple; or silver off of ebony or maple, etc?

Yes it is. I have two methods and it just depends on the day as to which I use.
1. I have a carbide scraper. Take a couple of light passes and I am done
2. When I get to the point of sanding, I seal the wood using thin CA then I sand.

Either way DNA is your friend.

leehljp

Member Liaison
You did a super job! NICE!. Plenty of patience is evident, along with skill!

Apologies for not saying that first. When I saw the pen, my mind immediately went to: How did he accomplish THAT with such clean lines?

Daniel

very nice, as for this being your idea. someone else may have had the idea to do a fret board design. but with as many changes (significant ones as well) that you have made I would say by far this is your original design. frets that are only the width of the board??? nice touch. separate materials for the board and neck. yeah I say you have some original things going on there. I like the selection of pen kit as well it helps add to the guitar effect as well. The fret effect is quite realistic from the photos.

hewunch

very nice, as for this being your idea. someone else may have had the idea to do a fret board design. but with as many changes (significant ones as well) that you have made I would say by far this is your original design. frets that are only the width of the board??? nice touch. separate materials for the board and neck. yeah I say you have some original things going on there. I like the selection of pen kit as well it helps add to the guitar effect as well. The fret effect is quite realistic from the photos.

Well one thing is for sure. I did not set out to copy someone. Like I said, I had no idea anyone had done one, until after I had made 3.

JohnU

the pen turned out very nice. Ive been tossing around that idea after my kids took up interest in the guitar. I was thinking of a smaller scale to get all the frets on the pen but havent found the time to try yet. I like yours. Very well executed.

hewunch

the pen turned out very nice. Ive been tossing around that idea after my kids took up interest in the guitar. I was thinking of a smaller scale to get all the frets on the pen but havent found the time to try yet. I like yours. Very well executed.

Well a couple of things as far as scale goes.
1. I wanted to make the neck look right, getting all the frets on there would make the neck very thin or very wide
2. I didn't have a plan for the nut or the body of the guitar so part of a neck sounded like a good idea.
3. The dots I got really dont allow me to make the frets much smaller without looking way out of scale.

NCWoodworker

The pen looks great! It is very 'clean' looking

I made a pen similar to this design a couple of years back (http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/628/guitar_pen.jpg), but who cares! You didn't copy/steal/whatever...it was your unique idea and you made it your own design. I'm sure many designs were born from several people who didn't know one another! :) I love the fact that you used two different woods to give it a more realistic approach! I can't wait to see v4!

Regards,
Chris

Top Bottom