Guitar neck slim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ossaguy

ossaguy

Here's how the 3rd one from today turned out.

I wanted to see how a slimline would look using these guitar neck scraps I have.

They are not long enough to make one continuous pen,so I made two as close as the same as I could,then flipped them to get the segments to line up front to back.

I believe this one is Walnut/Koa. I love the warm look to this wood combo.

I have another 3 or 4 started also,using the different wood strip combinations,so i hope they turn out nice.

I have not done a Slimline for a long time,they are kinda hard for me to do.I've been doing single barrel pens so much lately,I'm out of shape!

I'm trying to use up the 13 kits I have,and jazzing them up with wood like this ,so I'm hoping it will be fun.

Thanks,

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_7914.JPG
    IMG_7914.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_7916.JPG
    IMG_7916.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_7919.JPG
    IMG_7919.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_7923.JPG
    IMG_7923.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 136
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Guitar necks

Here's how the 3rd one from today turned out.

I wanted to see how a slimline would look using these guitar neck scraps I have.

They are not long enough to make one continuous pen,so I made two as close as the same as I could,then flipped them to get the segments to line up front to back.

I believe this one is Walnut/Koa. I love the warm look to this wood combo.

I have another 3 or 4 started also,using the different wood strip combinations,so i hope they turn out nice.

I have not done a Slimline for a long time,they are kinda hard for me to do.I've been doing single barrel pens so much lately,I'm out of shape!

I'm trying to use up the 13 kits I have,and jazzing them up with wood like this ,so I'm hoping it will be fun.

Thanks,

Steve

Very nice Steve! Are you a luthier?

Russknan

I'm not a fan of slimlines. With all that work, I'd prefer to put it on a rollerball. Just my taste. But you did a great job on that. Congrats! Russ

ossaguy

Very nice Steve! Are you a luthier?[/quote]

Hi Tony,

No I'm not.A friend from church used to work at a guitar shop before he moved to Minnesota,and he would bring in scraps and give them to several of us woodworkers in the group.So I try using them whenever I can,trying them on different kits for a variety.

The two thin strips of already laminated woods give you some rood to get creative,trying several different angles,along with totally straight.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

ossaguy

What, no stamps?

Nice looking pens.

Although many don't like slims, I think they make some great pens that fit the hand well.

Steve

No stamps in this upcoming batch,all wood ones.I like to mix it up so I don't get bored with doing just one style.

I'm not too good at slims,but I found that if I glue the clip so it doesn't migrate,and use the nice Artisan twist mechanism from CSUSA so they have a high quality twist action feel,they can be a better pen.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

TonyL

Beautiful job!

Very nice Steve! Are you a luthier?

Hi Tony,

No I'm not.A friend from church used to work at a guitar shop before he moved to Minnesota,and he would bring in scraps and give them to several of us woodworkers in the group.So I try using them whenever I can,trying them on different kits for a variety.

The two thin strips of already laminated woods give you some rood to get creative,trying several different angles,along with totally straight.

Thanks,
Steve[/quote]

Well, maybe you should be:)

Jim Burr

Banned
I ran into the same problem Steve...slims are by no means easy! When I need a challenge, grabbing a slim a where I "turn" ;).

OZturner

Nice Pen Steve,
Great Blank Material, I was about to congratulate you on the Fantastic Joints on the Blank, then you tell us the material came glued.
Well those that you glued look Great.
As usual Great Fit and Finish.
Turning a Slimline is like riding a pushbike, you never really forget How, it just takes a little practice and time to get the memory into gear.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Very nice pen Steve. Your fit and finish is spot on, I really like your work with the guitar necks. I'm going to have to check to see it there are any guitar shop around me and try and get some scraps.

ossaguy

Very nice pen Steve. Your fit and finish is spot on, I really like your work with the guitar necks. I'm going to have to check to see it there are any guitar shop around me and try and get some scraps.

Thanks Dan,

I'll bet you can get some.I was shocked to hear that they burn these scraps,it seems like such a waste.

Steve

Top Bottom