Guitar Neck Pen v.3.0

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hewunch

hewunch

OK, this one has yet some more improvements. Per the suggestion of an IAP member, I tried some aluminum flashing for the frets. That did make them wider. I was able to line up the dots much better this time and the dots are Mother of Pearl. Plexiglass finish MM to 12000. As always, comments welcome.

guitar3sm.jpg

guitar3opensm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chriselle

That doesn't look good...

It looks GREAT!:biggrin:

I'm a long time guitarist and guitar/amp builder...and this one is far better than your previous versions. I want to try building a few "neck" pens myself.

If I may be so bold as to add a few comments on a few things that "grab my attention"....

The rule of 18 and fret spacing was discussed before and I like your spacing on this pen the best of the three. The thicker frets look better, too.

The fretboard is a little light in colour and looks like a custom Pao Ferro finger board which is rarely used. I'd stick to a more typical darker piece of Brazilian rosewood. That'll also make your fretwork and inlays pop.

Another thing and it's a big one....for me at least..is the segmentation of the rosewood. I've re-fretted many guitars over the years and sometimes I have to fill in the slot and re-cut with my fret saw. I think your pen would be perfect if you could cut slots for the "frets" in a single piece and fit your aluminum to the width of those slots thus keeping the wood grain continuous.

I'm sure there is going to be a Version 4 so just some ideas to think about. :highfive:

Chris Leadbeater

Chriselle Pens and B Point Amplification

ldb2000

Hans , This is definatley your best yet , the Frets are great but I would have to agree with Chris , a darker wood like rose wood would really set the frets off nicely .
Oh and bring back the inlay on the back of the neck , I think that would be a nice touch .
Can't wait for #4
:good::good::good:

hewunch

The fretboard is a little light in colour and looks like a custom Pao Ferro finger board which is rarely used. I'd stick to a more typical darker piece of Brazilian rosewood. That'll also make your fretwork and inlays pop.

That is a Rosewood board albeit a lighter one. And I have over exposed the picture a little. As far as v. 4 goes it is already in the shop. This time it is an ebony board.

Oh and bring back the inlay on the back of the neck , I think that would be a nice touch .
Can't wait for #4
:good::good::good:

It has the skunk stripe too, it is just not shown off in the pictures this time.

chriselle

That is a Rosewood board albeit a lighter one. And I have over exposed the picture a little. As far as v. 4 goes it is already in the shop. This time it is an ebony board.

It has the skunk stripe too, it is just not shown off in the pictures this time.

Ebony eh! Now you're getting into Gibson necks...WHICH require fret end binding:eek:; preferably ivory..lol. It's all good fun. Can't wait to see v.4.

hewunch

Yeah, I will not be putting binding on this time, but that is something that is rattling around in my brain.

Skye

Best one yet. I'd say aside from embedding it and throwing some guitar strings in there you've got very little room for improvement.

Thought about a custom finial? I think one that's half dark wood, half light would look neat.

SamThePenMan

I'm thinking of trying my hand at making some of these some time. If I may be so bold as to ask some questions about how they're made. Are the fret piece put in like regular frets on a guitar, or are they pieces of aluminum that are cut to half the dia of the pen and then wood segments glued in between? I assume you drill the holes for the inlays after turning/before finishing? One last thing, I assume the frets are flush with the surface of the wood?

Top Bottom