Guineafowl Feathers on Polaris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KDM

KDM

So, I've been holding off long enough casting feathers. Looked like a lot of hard work, and what if I got it wrong? I did this without a pressure pot or any of that good stuff. Plugged up the ends of a pen tube with dowel, as per one of our very own idiot's guides, here at IAP, tied the guineafowl feathers on with shiny thread, cast in clear resin and turned.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KDM

With hindsight, I'd have turned it the other way around. The fat stalk of the feathers (the end which was formerly attached to the animal) protruded slightly from the nib end of the tuning. I soaked it in CA and turned it off, though.

McBryde

I really like the colors of this blank with the green thread. I do think it would have gone better on a chrome kit though, almost giving it that Ireland celtic color look to it. I like it!

E

plantman

:):) I have looked over your website and found your castings to be fantastic! The other items you have are orignal and very well done. As for the two feather pens you are showing, I have several suggestions for you on the next casting. 1- drop the string. It takes away from the beauty of the feathers and interupts the flow and lines of the pen. You don't need string to hold the feathers down if you use the following method. Take a scrap piece of wood and drill the size hole you need for the kit you are going to use. Turn this down to a little less than your finished size. Allow for feathers and several coats of CA. Paint your blank a color that would best show off your feathers. Cut off the quill end and anything that doesn't have the pattern or color you want. Add your feathers to the blank with any glue that will dry clear. With the feathers wet, you can arrange them in any design that looks good. They will all lay flat and stay where you put them. Since feathers are hollow, this seals them and keeps them from off-gassing air bubbles if you choose to cast them. Let them dry good. Now apply several coats of CA. Do not use excellorater!! Sand lightly to even out the surface, add a few more coats of CA and finish. 2- Feathers usually do not look good on small barreled pens, ones with 7MM fittings. 3- That black rubber end on the comfort pen picks up dust as soon as you put in on the pen and you can never get it shiney again. Turn the full lower barrel. I don't know what you used on the top half of the lower barrel, but it seem like to many textures and colors for the pen. I don't mean to be harsh on you, only give you some insite I have learned the hard way. I liked the pen with the shamrock on it. Jim S

Last edited:

SDB777

Pretty cool! I still have the 'feathers' written on the 'tuit list' here. Someday? Maybe?

Like the green thread idea...adds something to it.

Scott (maybe just cast the whole bird:eek:) B

KDM

Like the green thread idea...adds something to it.

See, the community is completely split over that! I'm indifferent. I just did it to save me gluing the feathers in place!

As mentioned elsewhere: the great thing about turning pens is that sometimes some folk will love 'em and others will hate 'em.

Top Bottom