Guess the material III

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MesquiteMan

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Time for another "guess the material" thread! This is a natural material cast in resin. This is obviously a Tapa Pacifica with a CA finish on the "material".

Comments on the pen are also welcome, good or bad. Thanks for playing and looking!

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• NoCheat1.jpg
    NoCheat1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 522
  • NoCheat2.jpg
    NoCheat2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 517
  • No.jpg
    No.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 523
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

les-smith

I'd know that stuff anywhere. I've made whistles with it for 30 years. It's acorn shells.

Nice looking pen, I like the combination of colors.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Well that was easier than I thought it would be! I really did not think anyone would guess this quick! It is indeed acorn bases from a live oak in my back yard. Let me state this clearly, this was not my idea. Someone posted in the casting section about using acorns and it was suggested to possibly be able to use the base. I decided to give it a try and see how it came out. Pretty cool, I think!

I took the bases and dried them in my toaster oven for a couple hours at 200 degrees. Then I mixed up some water clear Alumilite with a little amber dye and poured the acorn bases into my mixing cup and mixed them in. I then poured it all into my mold and applied 80 psi pressure. I got zero voids and the casting came out great. The resin is quite clear with an amber tint. The inside of the blank is colored black.

Anyway, here is another pic with the raw material to give an idea what I started with.

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• AcornSierra1.jpg
    AcornSierra1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 502

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I went back and looked in the casting forum and I need to give credit for the idea to Jeff Powell. He posted a question asking if anyone had tried casting acorns and that gave me the idea to try the caps.

mrburls

acorn pen

Curtis, Awesome pen. Like the curls and color combination. The blank is so cool looking. You thinking of selling any of those? I'd be interested. Keith

workinforwood

When I first saw it, I was thinking carpathian walnut shells. I hadn't thought so much of the cap of an acorn, rather the entire thing cap and nut, but it does make more sense to just do the cap. It looks cool, especially in a pen. Great job Curtis! Now get down to the Outback or Texas Roadhouse and start scooping them peanut shells off the floor.

bruce119

Mine was a complete guess only because I got a bag of acorns trying to figure what to do with. Darn spell check I would have beat les-smith if I didn't do a spell check but it was a tie.

Very cool Curtis turned out great now I know what I can do with that big bag of acorns. I'll get to it one of these days.

Very nice pen thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom