A group of Sierras

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mack C.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Sierra Twists in Black Ti., & Ti. Gold.

attachment.jpg

L to R: Cocobolo, Golden Amboyna Burl, Ebony, Cocobolo, Chechen, Thuya Burl, X-Cut Walnut Burl, & Cocobolo.

Finished with 2 coats dewaxed sanding sealer, 7 coats of 4 hr. poly, wet micromeshed 6,000 - 12,000 followed with 2 coats Renaisssance Wax.

Attachments

• Sierras (Small).jpg
    Sierras (Small).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 245
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VisExp

Great collection Mack. I read your finishing procedure with interest. I have had problems in the past applying poly to cocobolo and figured the next time I would put sealer coat of dewaxed shellac first before the poly. It obviously worked for you. Did you wipe it on or spray it on? I'm also assuming you did not have to wait to long before applying the poly, as quick as shellac dries.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Did you wipe it on or spray it on?
Hi Keith; I brushed the sealer on with a ½" angled brush I bought at Michaels.
I'm also assuming you did not have to wait to long before applying the poly, as quick as shellac dries.
My finishing protocol, when I use 7 coats of fast dry poly, brushed on as well, is to get at least one coat on after supper time. I usually give each coat of shellac a ½ hr. more or less to dry. Test with fingers. 1500 mm btwn coats.

Next day 3 coats of poly, wet 4,000 mm btwn coats, next day after that 3 more coats, no mm between coats. Let cure for 24 hrs, I actually get 36 hrs. since I finished the prior evening.
Then it's wet mm 6,000 - 12,000, Renaissance Wax and I'm done.

jttheclockman

Mac

Once again your work is outstanding. The line up is all well matched. That is a rich looking kit.Nice job with the finish as always. Doing a bunch of pens like that at one time is actually not so time consuming when you look at it. Keep up the great work.

Daniel

Well they look nice in the photo. But you can never really tell. I think you should send me the Ebony one as a sample. I can give it a hands on thorough going over and then give you my honest complete opinion. No need to thank me I am happy to help any way I can.

jedgerton

Since Daniel has offered to perform the quality control inspections on that Ebony one, I'll do my part by taking care of the rest. Just send them to me and I'll provide a full report!

Seriously though, my favorite is the Chechen but its hard to choose.

John

Top Bottom