Group of pens with a Cross

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tom McMillan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom McMillan

I've made pens with a Cross for a number of years. But, different than some I've seen here---I've always put the cross on the lower barrel. I made wider Crosses before I moved since I used a radial arm saw then to cut the slot for the inlay. Now, I use a bandsaw to cut the groove and can use a much thinner inlay. I've attached a photo of 4 (sorry, the photos not too great). On each end is a Kingwood pen with a brass Cross (if you make any with a metal cross--do be careful---I've had some come loose when turning and they can fly out at ya), and the middle two are maple with a Bloodwood Cross and maple with an Ebony Cross. Also, I did make a wedding set for my youngest daughter with a heart shaped base of Bloodwood and 2 matching pens of Bloodwood with maple Crosses.

200541705526_penswcross%20001.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerberpens

Tom, those are nice looking pens. I'm showing my ignorance but, does the inlay cross go ALL the way through the pen (of course not throught the tube), or is it just on the front side? In other words, if you turned the pen over, would see the cross on the back side?

Gary

Tom McMillan

No Pastor Bill---it's not your eyes---a poor photo---not very good lighting when I got home from work.

No Gary the ones I've done are just on one side. And the Cross piece is only half way (or a little less) through the diameter of the pen. So, no you wouldn't see the Crosses on mine on the back side.

PenWorks

Give me a break [:eek:)]
Those are beautifull [:p]
I have been trying to do some inlay, and almost ended up
with a nubby [B)] So I put it aside .
Wonderfull craftsmenship Tom.

Rifleman1776

The wire inlay is a very good idea. Use of a viening (veining ? ) tool is popular with gunsmiths who inlay wire into gunstocks. The basic technique is simple (for some, not fumble finger folks like me ). Before final shaping a groove is cut for the desired design, then wire, often a flat ribbon, is tapped into place, sometimes secured with epoxy, then final shaping and sanding is done. This could probably be done while the almost completed pen blank is still on the lathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom